1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot run exe files

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sim_guy_1, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sim_guy_1

sim_guy_1 Thread Starter

i am having a huge problem just about all of my programs will not open the exe files aren't working. i don't think it's a virus i think i accidently messe dit up. Is there a way to get them working again? Can anyone help me?? I am running windows ME.

2. KHolloman

KHolloman

If you know when this occurred you can give system restore a try. Start, programs, accessories, system tools, system restore

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Make sure to select a restore date prior to when the problem started.

Also, see if this helps:

----------------------------------------------------------------
    ARE YOU HAVING DIFFICULTY WITH GETTING "EXE" FILES TO ACTIVATE?

Click Start - Run, type in REGEDIT, then click OK.

Click the + in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - Software - Classes - Exefile - Shell - Open.

Click directly on the Command folder to expose its entries in the right pane. Make sure that Default is set to "%1" %*
    If it has a different value, right-click it, then click Modify.

Change the value to "%1" %*(quote, percent, number one, quote, single space, percent, asterisk), then click OK.

Close the registry, then reboot your computer.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

4. PUNKSHOWHERO

PUNKSHOWHERO

that may be close to what i need, when i looked, exefile was right but when i checked .exe, for default it said value not set, is that my problem?

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The change has to be made to "Default" in the Command folder in the Open folder. Don't get confused and change it in the wrong folder. Click the + in Open, then click directly on Command to expose its entries in the right pane. If "Default" is other than what I stated above, change it.

6. sim_guy_1

sim_guy_1 Thread Starter

Tahnks for your help but none of what you said worked for me but i found a file called "Fix EXE Association" on the net and it worked. sadly i don't remember where i got it from. but i had to rename regedit.exe to regedit.com and then change it back. then i had to open the fix file with the registry editor and it fixed them.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    This site may be what you are referring to.

8. sim_guy_1

sim_guy_1 Thread Starter

I have found the site that i got the file from it is here
    again thanks for your help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice