1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot run fdisk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wout, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wout

wout Thread Starter

my computer was very slow i deicided to format my c drive
    i did fdisk maybe becuase of doing several other things at the same moment i missed something . it keep sayuing to me
    error reading fixed drive c:
    next i did format c:\s
    install win98
    now ihave good speed again

my questio is how can i do fdisk to make sevral partitions i have a 40gb disk now every thing i think is in one partition hope some one can help or keep it like it is

2. raybro

raybro

Well, if you are going to use fdisk to create more partitions, you should have done so before installing the OS. fdisk cannot resize a partition. It can only delete or create a partition I'm assuming your current active partition is 1 partition the size of the drive.

I suggest you consider a 3rd party software like Partition Magic or Partition Commander (which I use). Either of these softs will let you resize the active partition and create other partitions as you want without risk to your data or OS. :cool:

BTW.. here is a link to a graet site with info about planning partitions.

http://aumha.org/win4/a/parts.htm

3. NeWcS

NeWcS

You could try using a partition program to do it with in Windows so you dont have to loose anything.

Try downloads.com or get partition magic

Hope this helps

4. Annorax

Annorax

Yes, as stated above, FDISK is an old DOS utitlity that is limited in usage. If you make or edit a partition using FDISK, you will have to erase everything. There are Windows programs that can do this for you, however.

5. wout

wout Thread Starter

thanks a lot guys i still have hope will print out and try when i have suficent time and alone at home without any disturbances

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice