1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot run GTA San Andreas

Discussion in 'Games' started by Cammybabes, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cammybabes

Cammybabes Thread Starter

Just defragged my computer - not sure if thats got anything to do with it or not.

The point is, I used to be able to run GTA San Andreas very well but now when I click on the icon nothing happens. I have reinstalled the software and reinstalled my graphics driver.

I went to a website "Can you run it?" which told me I didn't have Pixel Shader Version 1.1. I'm not sure if I had it before or not but it hasn't affected the running of the game before.

My graphics driver is a "Winfast A180 DDR (GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X)"

Has the defragging of the hard drive messed with something - it did take a while and I stopped it at 45% after 24hours and it said it would take another 24.

I used UltimateDefrag and then defragged again in two stages - first just defragging "Fragmented Files only" and then I selected "auto" to clean up the layout of the hard disk.

What should I do to fix this?

2. AcidBurnz95

AcidBurnz95

What are the spec on the machine?

3. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Defrag shouldn't mess up a program.
    It can, in some cases, help though.

Not sure if stopping would hurt anything either.
    24 hour defrag seems really long.
    It's a good idea to defrag after every install of programs.
    Helps to keep things in order.

Not sure what UltimateDefrag cleaned. I would suggest removing GTA. get a full defrag done. Remove and re-install your video drivers and directX ... Defrag again. Then install GTA again. Defrag once more.. and see if it works.

I would just use the windows defragmenter.

4. Cammybabes

Okay, I thought I managed to fix the problem by doing a system restore to a point where it was working. The game worked for about a week after restoring. TOday I have found that the game again is refusing to open - I have not changed any settings in fact I have barely touched the computer since yesterday when I last played the game.

Is something going wrong when I turn off the computer? I do not want to have to system restore everytime i want to play.

what could the problem be?
    The computer is:
    Intel Pentium 4
    2.60GHz
    512MB RAM 37.2GB hard drive
    Graphics card is Winfast A180T NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 440

5. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Well, given that description... umm.. :confused:
    Maybe something auto updated.

If the game closed just fine and windows shut down normally, there should be no problem with the game or system. Do you leave your computer on all the time? If you turn it off every night, and it just happened that one night. I suspect something updated and needed to wait for a reboot to take effect. What it could be?? Got me there. No idea.
    Your not using a no cd crack, cheat trainers, or any mods are you? Sometimes those can be seen as a virus. If it's deleted or moved the game may not work.

If your system is still missing shader 1.1 and you changed a game graphics setting that uses it, the game may not start. If you didn't change anything. Then.. Again, I'm stumped. :D

6. Cammybabes

I have updated the video card driver and the game once again works fine. I was using a no-CD patch but I couldn't see how that could have affected it if it worked with it previously.

If the game doesn't fail again for a week I will mark this solved.

7. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Well, TSG doeasn't allow help with no-CD cracks, but some of them can be caught as viruses.
    All depends on who made it. Some can even have viruses in them. Or even key loggers.
    If any of that is found in the .exe your antivirus would disable it.
    Good idea, scan before you use it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice