Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannot save Excel worksheet

793 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  KhunDoug 
#1 · (Edited)
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20151202004727.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, 1797 MB
Hard Drives: C: 286 GB (185 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO 4180AP3, ver Not Available, s/n 1ZJJP17NW3E
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 1520, s/n R8DG4Z8
Antivirus: AVG Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Attempts to save newly-created Excel worksheets results in error message "File already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?" When I respond "Yes," the following error message appears "File cannot be accessed. It may be read-only."
With right-click on "Microsoft Excel" icon-->Properties-->Security, all users have "full control."
Don Wilson

#2 ·
You can try to use File Explorer to see whether that file indeed is "Read Only"
In file explorer right click the file. Select "Properties" and there will be a check box for "Read-Only" among others.

Have you tried to save the Excel file under a different File name?

#3 ·
The problem is not with a single file, but ANY file I create with Excel and attempt to save--under any name I choose for it. As I pointed out, in the original note, the Security tab of Properties shows that full control--not Read Only--exists for the list of users.

#4 ·
What version of Excel are you using?

Is there any status notice on the top of the program next to the name Excel, for example:

Rectangle Sky Font Water Electric blue

(this will appear on all Office apps, it's the only one I can find)

Please confirm your steps to get to that point, do you:

Open Excel and use Blank Workbook
Create the data
Save the workbook in the default location, then click save
Receive the message about being existed / can't save / etc?

#6 ·
What version of Excel are you using?

Is there any status notice on the top of the program next to the name Excel, for example:

View attachment 287041
(this will appear on all Office apps, it's the only one I can find)

Please confirm your steps to get to that point, do you:

Open Excel and use Blank Workbook
Create the data
Save the workbook in the default location, then click save
Receive the message about being existed / can't save / etc?
A screenshot of the results of the steps above (precisely what I've been previously attempting) is attached. I've guessed at the location for possible status as the title "Microsoft Excel" in the uppermost left corner of an opened spreadsheet.
I'm using Excel 97 from Office 97

Attachments

#7 ·
The fact that the Excel icon shows Full control doesn't matter, it just means you have full control of the program icon. It does not mean you have full control of where you want to save the file. For example, if you want to save in folder on drive D, a folder name 'sheets'. It may be that the 'sheets' folder you don't have any access to.

Because you are using Office 97, I think you are encountering a file system problem. Back in Windows 95's time, I vaguely remember there are problems with long file names.

#8 ·
To confirm, you do not have a file on your desktop called book1.xls? The screenshot of the file doesn't show any files, just the folders so please move the slider to the right to see the other files and folders and see if you see a file already there. If there is, then I wonder if that file is Read Only.

#9 ·
Back in the older versions of Office, including Office 97, there were service packs to deal specifically with Office updates. If you haven't specifically installed the Office 97 service pack(s), I would recommend doing that. The newer versions of Office handle the update process automatically, but not back then. I have no guess if Windows Updates today will include updates that are that old. If you have not installed the service pack, that alone could resolve this problem.

Another thing to try is starting Excel in Safe Mode. I am attaching a link on how to start Excel in Safe Mode. From what I read, the easiest way is to press and hold CTRL when you click the shortcut to open Excel. Excel should ask if you want to start in Safe Mode. If you are able to start in Safe Mode, please try to save your spreadsheet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.