1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Cannot save .exe file only as text.doc

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by exceller, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

Windows 10, KIS and MalwareBytes.

My default Browser is Google Chrome and is fully up to-date.

As i believed I had a issue.with Chrome, I uninstalled it.

Still having IExplorer and MS Edge, one has Google as a browser and the other the default MS browser.

I browsed and downloaded from Google UK and Com the ChromeSetup.exe file in order to re-load Google Chrome as my default browser from IE and Edge. In both cases for whatever reason, the file would only be saved as a text file and not a .exe file. If I opened the file in notepad, it would all be gibberish as you would expect opening a application (.exe)file.

To solve this, I downloaded the same file on my Windows tablet, then saved on a flash drive. Using the flash drive on my laptop, I then re-installed Chrome with no issues of any kind from the flash drive.

Also if I copied the .exe file from the flash drive to save it in my documents for future, it still only saves it as a text.doc.

So why would this file not be saved as a .exe (application), even when all protections were turned off including Defender still in the background.

Some setting somewhere I think is causing this, but where.

I recall sometime ago somewhere seeing a list of various types of file formats that could be controlled, whether that was Windows, KIS or MalwareBytes. ??

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What do you mean by the following?

3. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

Meaning from my Start page I can run either IE 11 browser is set as Google and Edge browser is MSN.

4. C141

C141

5. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

thanks,

For whatever reason, now that Google Chrome is installed as my default browser. I can now download ChromeSetup.exe and save it as an .exe file.

So it looks if MS has a built in defence of stopping other browsers being installed/saved, other than its IE or Edge.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1193518

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice