Cannot scan disk or defragment

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RutDawg

Everytime I try scan disk,it will start,make it to 3%,then start over.after ten times of restarting,i get the message,"Scan disk has restarted 10 times because Windows or another program has been writing this drive..."I cannot figure out what may be running to prevent scan disk from performing it's task.I have the same problem with my defragmenting tool.My computer has slowed down terribly,and I feel it is because of these tools not being able to complete themselves.I am using Windows ME.

Restart your computer and start tapping your F8 key , as it restarts.

This should take you into safe mode where you can go to Start, programs, accessories, scan disk and run it with a minimal amount
things running. When you finish this do the same for defrag.

Let us know how it comes out.

There are other things you can do to make your computer run better and faster.

We can let you know after you get this done.

Stay on the thread and let us know...

RutDawg

thanks guys,things went smooth.skyman,u said something about other things that can be done to improve performance?

RutDawg

i have another question.my brother a an old work computer that runs window 98,i tried setting up the net on it ,but it wont connect.do i need to take 98 off completely off it?

In a word no, but please ask your question in a separate thread so that others who have the same problem can easily follow how it was resolved.

We'll meet you there ;)

Well it's obvious that you worked hard on it, and that should be acknowledged.

I'll be sure to send many people there ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online