1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot see all videos

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Yousri, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yousri

Yousri Thread Starter

Please bear with me, I am not too tech savy...

I used to be able to see all videos, now I can only see some.
    For instance, I can see a video on "Photobucket" but when that same video is posted on a forum, I can't see it. Only shows a white screen with 3 shapes in the left top corner.

I also tried viewing some .flv videos on a website, the page includes quite a few thumbnails that I can't see. Only a box with an x in the corner.

I updated Flash Player & Java. We are on Windows XP.

Want to add that I can see videos on youtube, CNN etc...

Anyone can help?

2. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

A white box with 3 shaps in the corner is what you get when you don't have a player or codec installed for that type of video. It sounds to me like your adobe flash player isn't isntalled correctly. I know youtube uses flash, not sure about CNN off hand.

When you updated the flash player did you got to Adobe.com to do it?

If your using IE 7 you can use the Restore to default button under Advanced in the Internet Options.

When you said "I also tried viewing some .flv videos on a website, the page includes quite a few thumbnails that I can't see. Only a box with an x in the corner."

Does that mean some will play but others won't. That also could be an issue with your internet connection as well if it's only some videos on a page and not all of a giving type.

3. Yousri

Yousri Thread Starter

I installed from the Adobe website. I actually uninstalled and tried again earlier.

I restored default settings just now. Still nothing.

The page with the thumbnails of videos, I cannot see any. Only boxes.
    If I click on one, it will load a black page with descriptive text at the bottom (i.e. subject of the video), as if a video should be appearing.

4. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

If you're using IE as your browser, and depending on which version, open you IE Options, under the Advanced tab, make sure that "Play videos in web pages" (not present in IE7) and "Play animations in web pages" are checked.

6. Yousri

Yousri Thread Starter

Thanks! Did all of that. I can now see the .flv videos and most videos.
    Still cannot see the embedded photobucket video, but it's minor at this point.

7. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You're welcome!

8. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

If you have another browser on the system give that a shot. If not download Firefox or Google Chrome and see if they have the same issue as IE. If they don't then the problem is at least narrowed down to IE, if they do then it's a system problem.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/822352