1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot see files

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Josxo, Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Josxo

Josxo Thread Starter

hi,
    I have a Sony vaio laptop and currently I am unable to see any of my word documents/pictures/programmes. I can only see them if I search for them under local disk C and access them under a folder called user, which then has a lock next to the folder. I am unable to save any word documents. What do I do?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I'm not understanding. You have your files stored directly in the C:\Users folder? If so, how did that happen?

The default file structure in Windows 7 is for our files to be stored in folders Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos, which are in the folder C:\Users\<account name>. See my attachment.

Capture.PNG

3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Type windows explorer in the search box and then press the Enter key.

A window will appear that looks something like this.
    Capture.JPG

Unless you intentionally stored it elsewhere, all of your documents and photos and other data should be stored in these folders.

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

By default the four folders I listed are in the four Libraries (each in the same named one) Frank showed. But maybe we should get an understanding of where (in what folders) those files are before discussing whether the folders are in a Library.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185002