1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot see harddisk D:/ in my computer...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by blaze_spirit9999, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blaze_spirit9999

blaze_spirit9999 Thread Starter

I install windows RC 7100 this afternoon and amazed by it stunnishing graphic but it seem to have a problem, thats is i cannot see my original local disk (D/) in my computer. i got all my music stored in that partition.
    Actually i do a dualboot and have vista ultimate in (C/) and i installed Win 7 in partition (J/). But when i boot into Win 7 it Drive letter change from (J) to (C/)and the original (C/) that stored vista ultimate change to (D/)... And the weird thing is that the original pertition disappear from my computer....

how to make my partition (D/) to be shown on window 7 ?

for information, i didn't installed any OS in this partition, it just stored all my music and picture and some games.

Thank for any kind reply.

2. joeten

joeten

3. nycmoonstar

nycmoonstar

Just wanted to say I had the same problem when I instaled Win 7 RC into a new partition and booted into Win 7 for the first time.

My 'data' partition didn' t show up under Computer, so, I went to Disk Manager. the partition was still there with a drive letter, so, I changed hte drive letter and then change it back (just for tweeking). After getting out of Disk Manager, I saw the drive in Computer.

Buuut, when I open the partition, I saw nothing in it! So, I close the window, right-click and Properties. The right amout of data seemed to be occupying the disk.

Then I started playing with Win 7 a lil. Changing folder options, power plan etc. Chaging the destination of the Document folder from the Start menu to the data partition (in which I could not see any data that I had saved with Vista before).

After 10 minutes or so, I opened the partition again from Computer. All files were there. :D

Maybe Windows needs some time and you playing around trying with the partition to realize that it's there. :p

So my advice is.... try tweeking the partition. do NOT change the drive letter of the partition for the new OS. It has to be C or Windows sometimes goes gaga. But you could change the dirve letter of the data partition and change it back if necessary. Try linking folders under C:/Users to the data partition and changing it back to C, if necessary, after opening something in the data parition from your new Windows.

4. blaze_spirit9999

yap, my data partition did show under my cmputer>manage but it did not had a drive letter within. i dun dare to change it drive letter cause i worried it will crash my PC when i boot back into Vista...

5. blaze_spirit9999

somehow, i manage to get that disappear partition to get shown again in win 7, but ... many problem occur after i attempt to do something that i dun sure it will work or not and taking down the risk:)

below is the long story.....

First i boot into windows vista and weird thing starting happenned at this point....i only manage to get into account screen (i got 2 accounts). when i click into my first account the windows tell me to activate my copy of windows. That weird enough cause im already activate it last year:confused:. I input the product key and click activated...2nd weird thing happenned !!! it said my product key is invalid and it tell me to input another key:mad: OMG, how do i get another key ?? so click cancel & the screen show entirely black and some "this windows is not genuien in the right bottom of that black screen...the result is...i cannot get into the windows

So i tried to access it wifh safe mode, finally managed to get into windows but with ugly GUI and the resolution set to 800x600...try to search into manage under my computer tab and right click on the partition that i installed windows 7 and click 'mark this partition as active', a warning message pop up : make sure u got a active OS installed in this partition if u wan to set this as active...blah blah blah....click OK AND im regret of doing that cause after i reboot my PC it say BOOTMRG is missing press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart...............

restart several times, no luck ,the result still same...

there only left 1 option to choose that is repair using the windows install disc...
    luckily im manage to repair it and ...connect to internet...then get into this forum to share about this story......

now the only working OS is windows 7, that windiws vista is still stuck on that activation page.....

6. nycmoonstar

nycmoonstar

Wow, I had a similar glitch as well. It said files that are necessary for starting windows Windows were missing (yeah perhaps Bootmgr, for both Vista dn Win7) so I had to boot from my Vista disk and do the Startup Recovery, then Vista came back. Then on while on Vista, I activated from Disk Manger the partition that contains Win 7 as I could only load Vista after that. On the next boot, both OSs showed up and it let me choose between the two. Now everything seems fine. See, this is perhaps why Microsoft says we should not try if we don't know how to troubleshoot. But yours is a lil different. you may have to call Microsoft to get a new activation key, The resolution problem, did you change it from Control Panel? Did you load the latest drivers including one for your graphics card on Win 7? It's possible that there is no good driver for your particular hardware though.. Win7 is still in the testing stage..

7. nycmoonstar

nycmoonstar

Wait, I acutally don't remember the order. Maybe after installing Win 7 in antoher partition, I could only boot into Win7?? Then I activated Vista's partition from Win7's Disk Manager, then I got the boot error, and the startup recovery from the Vista disk brought back both OSs... I'm confused about the exact sequence of the event, but I had to do start up recovery once because of hte same mssage you got to bring back the OSs.

8. darkwade

darkwade

I had the same problem and no e helped :(
    I used paragon software to give it a new drive letter

9. blaze_spirit9999

im juz curius why win Vista cannot be axcess in normal way but can axcess in safe mode ?

10. nycmoonstar

nycmoonstar

So, i used vista for 3 days then tried to use Win 7 again and I couldn't load Win 7. This time, it said something like a recent hardware or software change caused this paritcualr file under Sys32 to go crazy. lol! Well, it ws actually a missing digital signature of a file that is necessary for loading Windows. The file was still there according to what they said. So I had to stick in Win 7 disk and do another startup recovery only for Win 7. Now I can again boot both Vista nd Win 7. Weird. Things keep disappearing!

11. nycmoonstar

nycmoonstar

:confused:
    Did it solve the problem?

12. nycmoonstar

nycmoonstar

It should not be like that of course, Safe Mode means only drivers necessary to run windows are loaded (I guess mobo ones like LAN port, etc.). All additional ones are not. So, now your Vista is having a problem with one of hte drivers?? :confused:

13. nycmoonstar

nycmoonstar

Anyway, dual boot is known to often cause problems! Haahaa.

14. darkwade

darkwade

for me it did

15. blaze_spirit9999

i dun think it is driver issue, im already tired to do an clean installation to vista cause im already done twice before it...:(. ( forgot password and the worst thing is i forgot to made a recovery disk, lolz:D). So far im getting familiar with Win 7 and im thinking to format the win Vista partition and get it as storage partition once i migrate all my necessary thing from it.:)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!