1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot see JPEG file when opened

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by JoePaulJig, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoePaulJig

JoePaulJig Thread Starter

Hello all! :D I'm having a problem opening some JPEG files that a friend sent me through email. I'm running windows XP media center edition, and I can't view the photos in the photo viewer. I get "no preview available". :( Also, when I try to open the files in the photoimpression software, its says "wrong file format". I can view all other JPEGS fine. It's just the ones from my friends computer. He says I'm the only one who has problems with his emails, so I'm assuming it's on my end. One more thing I should mention is that he's sending these files from a mac computer, but he's using a converter that he says works, because everyone else receives the files correctly.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions as I am at a complete loss. :confused:

Thanks. :)

2. RT

RT

Hi Joe
    Welcome aboard!

Just for kicks, download and install IrfanView . (FREE!)
    Then see if you can open the images with it and then save them as what ever you wish.
    It seems a very good program at converting and such, and is able to access a large number of formats.

I mention this because on my computer I can open an image in one program, then save (as a tif for example), and other editing software or Windows will say No preview available, or something similar. If I then merely open with IrfanView, then save without doing anything else, all my image editors will open the file just fine.

Hope this helps.

3. JoePaulJig

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the program you suggested, but it was unable to open the jpegs. It also gave me "invalid file format" errors. :( IfranView is, however, a neat little utility, so thanks for pointing me to it. :)

I really don't know what more I can do. :confused: I tend to think that it's got to be something on my friend's end with his mac computer, but if anyone has any more suggestions, I would be happy to hear them.

Thanks again.

4. Moby

Moby

It is a .jpg or .jpeg in right click properties I'm assuming? Try renaming it to whatever.jpg, typing in the extension. (turn off 'hide file extensions for known file types' in folder options first)
    If it's not a personal pic or if there's one that isn't personal, perhaps you can post/attatch one here so we can have a look at it?

5. JoePaulJig

Thanks for the suggestion. The file exstension is .jpg. I tried renaming it with the extension before, but it still didnot open.

I tried to attach one of the pics for you to look at but, wouldn't you know it, I'm getting and error message that says "not a valid image file". It has the .jpg extension, so I don't know what the problem is.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

6. RT

RT

Perhaps the problem is on your friend's end.
    If they have no trouble viewing them, and you can see other jpg's then it would seem they are arriving in your inbox in a corrupt or 'altered state', if you will.

I've heard tell of difficulties with AOL, for instance, where the pics might not be viewed except by other AOL folks.
    It might make a difference if they are sending the images via some imaging software application instead of attaching them directly to the email. I also might ask if you & them are using the same email program? Or maybe are they sending Mac images to your Windows machine?

Could you have them re-send the images? OR try just one image - perhaps in a different format, such as PNG, GIF or even BMP(might make it a large file!), just to see what happens. And ask them to attach the image, not email it through a software app.

Just speculating...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217859

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice