1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot see my Maxtor 250GB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 1SC1, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1SC1

1SC1 Thread Starter

Hi

I've recently reinstall a fresh copy of XP Pro, I got a Gigabyte 8inxp MB, a WD 250GB install on primary channel as Master, with 2 partition, 125GB each

I've also got a Maxtor 250GB connect to ATA133 card

Before, I got everything up and running , then I install Maxtor drive, card, and Maxblast 3

and I have drive C = 125GB, D = 125GB, and G = 250GB(this is the Maxtor)

then I do a boot-from-cd and install a fresh copy of XP Pro
    now I cannot see my Maxtor

I tried to use my Maxblast3 software to mount the drive, but it say it only detect the Windows drive, therefore it won't let me run

When I tried to run Maxblast3 in DOS (from a floppy), I have to format and erase everything, I don't want to do that, I have some important documents on that drive that I do not want to lose

all drive were NTFS

2. 1SC1

1SC1 Thread Starter

I know the BIOS recognized the drive because after the bootup Diag. screen listing memory, drive , etc.

the second window show my ATA card and my correct drive

before it continue booting into Windows

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Maxblast 3 will not recognize your drives attached to the PCI controller card as these are not recognizable under dos. The bios for the pci card has to load before it can be read. When you boot from a dos floppy, you do not get to the pci card bios before the computer reads the data from the floppy. Try attaching the maxtor drive to your onboard IDE controller to set it up with the maxblast software. After it is partitioned and formated then mmove it to the PCI controller card. If you are trying to set up the controller card so that your computer boots from the drive attached to it, you must first install the driver that makes this drive the boot drive. It should be covered in the instructions for your controller card.

Since you didnt state the brand of your controller card I will ask now, is this the card that comes bundled with the Maxtor 250Gb drive? Or is it another brand?

4. 1SC1

1SC1 Thread Starter

thx for the reply dustyjay

Yes it is the one packaged with the drive

before all this happen, when my copy of XP was running fine, this is what I do

install ATA card in 2nd PCI slot, connect drive to card, boot up to Windows, install Maxblast3, then partitioned (1 big 250GB ) and formatted the drive with Maxblast3, then I was able to use the drive for storage

I'm sorry I don't get what you're saying, I'm a little confuse :D

I appreciated the help

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    why didnt you just attach the drive to the same ide controller as you WD drive? Is it because it is only an ATA100 controller? The Maxtor will work at that speed as well.

6. 1SC1

1SC1 Thread Starter

thx for the quick reply dusty

Well
    1. I want the Maxtor to run at 133MB
    2. my Cable is short 12in. so I can't connect both drive on the same cable ( I might be able to but I'll be stretching it ) and mount it in the cage

is there any other way for me to see the drive ?

thx

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What you seem to have omitted is loading the drivers for your add-on IDE card that the boot drive is attached to! I use the Promise IDE card on a couple of systems, and I had to load the Promise drivers early in the O/S install in order to boot from it. You'll see the prompt to hit F6 to load 3rd party disk drivers...

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    THe maxtor card from all reports is a good card. I personally am kind of partial to Maxtor drives. I have had so few problems with them, and out of 3 problem drives 2 of the problems were of my own making and knowing this inadvance Maxtor still rma'd them and honored their warranty sending me repalcement drives.

1SCI does your motherboard not support ATA133? If it does you could place the Drive on your secondary as master with one of your optical drives as slave on each IDE channel and try it that way. I am saying this because you meantioned that the maxtor is loaded as drive G. This tells me the with 2 partitions on your WD being C & D you have 2 other IDE devices in the chain there.

If one of the reasons you don't connect both hard drives to the same IDE channel is that the cable is too short, the Maxtor should have come with an 18" UATA cable (80 conductor 40 Pin). If you need a second 18" cable you can pick one up for just a few bucks Probably at the same place you bought the Maxtor drive. Or if you got it online you could get one at Staples, OfficeMax, or a local Computer shop. I paid less than $5USD for rounded IDE cables for all my drives, that is each not total.

9. scousemartin

scousemartin

if u go here u can download the maxtor big drive enabler, took me about five minutes to find so can't see why u didn't look there. The best way to solve any problem is to go to the manufacturers website and ask there.

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/M...tware Downloads/ATA Hard Drives&downloadID=11

There is a problem with the windows registry that only allows XP or 2000 to recognize hard drives up to 137gb this program should solve ur problem

(y) :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/198086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice