1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot See My New Harddrive In My Computer!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cwk01, Jul 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwk01

cwk01 Thread Starter

I just bought a new harddrive, here is my situation.

The drive I had before which is my master is a fujitsu MPG3204AT 20 Gig.

The drive I just bought is a seagate ST380011A and is the slave.

I have the master at the end of the IDE, and the slave in the middle.

I have no jumpers on the slave, and I put two on the master, following the diagram on the master which tells me what to do for a "master with slave present".

In the bios it will not detect the new drive, but when I take the second jumper out of the master so it is just set on master jumper setting it boots up windows. In device manager it says my new harddrive is working properly, and it is there in drive manager but will not show up in my computer.

Please help!

2. dai

dai

try uninstalling from the device manager and rebooting the computer and let windows reinstall.
    set the bios on auto detect check if you can see it in the bios.device manager and my computer when you reboot

3. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

Is that slave drive formatted yet, and does putting in the slave jumper on that drive help?

4. Chris A

Chris A

I belive that no jumpers means Cable select.

Two Jumpers on one drive is something I have never seen.
    Edit: just saw it in my own link

One drive you put on a jumper to make it Master the other you put a jumper on to make it a slave.

Cable select is for one drive systems and is rarly used by most people. Big brand computer builders like Dell / Gateway use cable select often as it is quicker just to throw the drive in.

I would have to see that diagram you are using though to be sure.

Is this it

5. jscerb

jscerb

put one jumper on the master, and one jumper on the slave. Make sure the new hdd is formatted or else it will not show under windows. The IDE cable sounds like the positioning is correct, so we can rule that out.

6. dai

dai

seagate is in the slave position with no jumpers

7. n2gun

n2gun

The seagate requires NO jumpers as a slave and the Fujitsu is set to master when the jumper is on pins 7 and 8. Counting from left to right in the bottom row pin 7 is the 4th pin and 8 is above it. Is this the way you have it set up??

8. akita

akita

RECENTLY FIXED THIS PROBLEM FOR NEIGHBOUR...

1. ENSURE CORRECT JUMPER SETTINGS
    2. SET SLAVE DRIVE IN BIOS TO AUTO (SHOULD AUTO DETECT IT)
    3. FORMAT NEW DRIVE /ACTIVATE NEW PARTITIONS IF REQ.
    4. ASSIGN UNUSED DRIVE LETTER

PS. DONT WANT TO SOUND RUDE... MAKE SURE IDE LEAD IS CORRECT WAY AROUND, AND NO BENT PINS..

ONE LAST THING.. HOW MANY IDE DEVICES DO YOU HAVE CONNECTED - MORE THAN 4 AND YOUR IN TROUBLE !!!

ALL SHOULD BE OK !!!

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You're posts will be easier to read if you'll drop the caps ;)

10. raybro

raybro

Hello ChrisA... About your contention regarding Cable Select jumper configuration. I've been using it on both my HDD's since I installed the second one and it just makes everything just simpler. I don't even need to look at the jumpers. Just plug one into the end IDE connector and it's master and plug the other into the center connector and it's slave. Works with both IDE channels so my DVD/CD-ROM drive and CD burner are configured the same way. Just one more little thing I don't have to remember and I need that. The older I get, the more my memory slips. Gettin old is a pain in the butt! :mad: (but it beats the alternative)

Regards - Ray :cool:

11. akita

akita

cable select ... just auto configures drives & settings, so no need to set master/slave etc.
    yes large manufacturers use it to save time !!!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/148506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice