1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot see post screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by devil, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. devil

devil Thread Starter

I got a message on laptop saying <windows root>\hal.dll missing, i sorted out that problem but now when the laptop restarts i get a message saying cannot display this video mode. This message then disappears after a couple of minutes and it boots into windows. (xp pro).
    I cannot see the post screen and i can`t get into the setup screen.I set the laptop to boot from cd/dvd drive to fix the first problem but now i can`t get into setup to change it back to hdd.

2. devil

devil Thread Starter

OH and the laptop is a DELL Inspiron 8200

3. GowerIT

GowerIT

4. devil

devil Thread Starter

The laptop is connected to an external display as the laptop screen is broken. I`ve booted the laptop this morning and now i can`t even see the windows screen.

5. GowerIT

GowerIT

Did you manage to get into the BIOS setup via the external monitor when the laptop screen was broken? Or was this before the screen was broken? Did you also try that key combination from the 2nd link I sent you? You mention that you can't see Windows on the screen at all now. Is Windows definitely up and running at this point? Gower IT

6. devil

devil Thread Starter

Didn`t manage to get into Bios even with the external screen and pressing the key combination. Windows has suddenly shown up again.
    Could it possibly have anything to do with an update that was installed recently?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice