1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot see Sandisk Cruzer 2GB with U3

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fuzzylogik, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuzzylogik

fuzzylogik Thread Starter

I have a buddy who handed me what a flashdrive, a Sandisk Cruzer Titanium 2 GB with U3, that he said no longer worked for him. Well several hours later, I can't make it work either. When the flash drive is plugged into multiple computers (XP x 4, Vista x 1 even though Vista is NOT supported), the light on the drive flashes and the computer attempts to find the "cruzer mini" driver, which will eventually fail (the light on the drive will remain on indefinately, however). I look in Windows Explorer and Disk Management and the drive is not recognized. I look in the device manager and there is an exclamation point next to exactly one "USB Mass Storage Device." I said screw this and brought out my big gun Recover It All software for data recovery and *IT* doesn't see the device. Interestingly, when the device is plugged in the Safely Remove Software button becomes available, but when I click on it, there is nothing to select (which tells me, "yes I see something but I don't recognize it"). I've attempted to install Sandisk's WONDERFUL drivers but they won't install UNLESS IT CAN SEE THE DAMNED DRIVE, which it can't. Bottom line: u3 drives suck. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I wanted that to be excrutiatingly clear!

So here's my quesiton: I'm looking for suggestions on how I can force the recognition of a USB device that is not natively recognized by the Device Manager or Disk Management. Any other suggestions are certainly appreciated!

Many thanks,
    Fuzzylogik

2. fuzzylogik

fuzzylogik Thread Starter

Bump. I'm finding it hard to believe that PnP cannot be worked around in XP re: hardware recognition. Anyone have any ideas? Or is this hardware DOA?

Fuzzylogik :(

3. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

With these sort of devices ( anything that uses solid state memory) they DO fail at various points. It can be a week after you buy it, or it can be 20 years, but they will eventually go. In this case, it seems to be a DOA job. I have several mem cards that do the same thing, and nothing will use them, be it computer, readers, or camera. Think the best thing to do is Return To Manufacturer if its under warranty, Return To Bin if its not. you cant repair these at home, and to extract data from them is nigh on impossible. The only time I ever saw it done was a card I had that held work info on it, highly confidential and very valuable ( abot £2million worth). It was an original that was copied andbacked up on a server, 2 computers, and a dvd. After a break in , the 2 computers were stolen ( all encrypted, so ot was useless as info), the server had a catastrophic failure (a fire) so all that data was lost- the damn thing was 50 miles away- and someone misfiled the DVD backup and no one could find it, so the card was the only thing left. It took 3 weeks and over £1000 in costs to get the data back, and even then we only got about 80% .

2 morals really- if a card is dead bin it, and secondly, no matter how many backups you make, always make one more, catastrophes do happen. This was 1 in 20 million that everything would be lost, but it did. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/670479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice