1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot see share on Win98 machine from Winxp

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SteveB, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SteveB

SteveB Thread Starter

Hi All
    I have five computers linked together through a netgear ADSL wireless router to form a workgroup called Archbell
    Computer1- running win95 cable connection
    Computer2 - running winME cable connection
    Computer3 - running win98SE wireless connection
    Computer4 - running win98SE cable connection
    Computer5 - running winxp professional cable connection

all computers have shared folders and all can be seen by each other except the winxp computer cannot open the shared folders on the win98se cable machine it comes up with the following fault
    \\computer69 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions.
    The parameter is incorrect

If I try and run the command \\Computer69 I get the network path was not found.
    I can see the shares on the XP machine from the win98 one ok.
    the firewall on the xp machine has been disabled and zone alarm disabled on the win98 machine.
    Thanks in advance

Steve

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Some people have disabled Norton or Zone Alarm or whatever and discovered that is not sufficient--they have had to uninstall the firewall or configure it properly.

With that network you have 10 possible pairings, which means 20 ways for one computer to access another computer's shared folders. I infer from your post that 19 ways are working and only one is failing.

Suggest making sure that the Window XP machine is in the trusted zone of the Zone Alarm on computer69.

3. SteveB

SteveB Thread Starter

hi terry
    I put the winxp machine in the trusted zone in zone alarm on the win98 machine (computer69) same result?

Steve

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Steve, I cannot think of anything else except to compare the two Win98SE machines to try and find a difference--protocols, services, user accounts, ???.

From other threads months ago I remember something about user accounts/passwords when networking XP Pro with 98SE. Maybe one of your 98SE machines matches XP in this regard and the other doesn't?

5. SteveB

SteveB Thread Starter

hi terry
    after some more investigation I found that I could not ping the name computer69 on any computer, also I think computer69 used to have the ip address 192.168.0.4 which the xp machine now has computer69 has 192.168.0.8.
    I put computer69's ip address and name in the host file of the xp machine and I can now get to the shared folders through run \\computer69 and computer search.
    But I still get the same fault if I try to open computer69 through my network places?

Steve

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "But I still get the same fault if I try to open computer69 through my network places?"

If this is without first doing 'View Workgroup computers' maybe there is confusion about IP adddresses? Maybe it's time to shut down all computers and router; start router, and then start up the computers and give Computer Browser Service some time (don't start worrying for at least half an hour) to figure out who is where.

Of course, assuming you are using Dhcp, delete or comment out any references to your computers in host files before doing the above.

7. SteveB

SteveB Thread Starter

Hi Terry
    Finally managed to sort out the problem, noticed that the win xp machine was showing the computer69 name in lower case where as I enter all names in upper case. Went back to the win98 machine which was showing the name in upper case so I re entered it and after the re boot every thing was ok.
    Thanks for your help.
    Just out of interest came aross a good free program called netscan which did show all the network shares even before the fix.

All the best for the new year

Steve

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/426440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice