1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot send email with Outlook Express 6

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by micwtx, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. micwtx

micwtx Thread Starter

Have been helping a friend with their computer problems but still stuck with this one.

Sysytem: Amd Sempron 3300+, 2GHz, 512mg Ram, 40gb HD, XP Professional with Service Pack 3. AVG Free 7.5 antivirus, windows firewall.

Setup email with OE6 as had problems with Yahoo. Verified all settings with ISP (SRCACCESS). Can receive emails fine but cannot send. Message goes in outbox and bottom right of screen shows "connecting.." but after about 1-2 mins we get the error: Connection to the server has failed. Acount: J*********r, Server 'mail.srcaccess.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port 25, Secure (SSL) No, Socket error: 10060, error number 0x800CCC0E.

I have done searches on the internet and followed several things suggested but still have same problem and same error. Have run search on this website and tried several things I read about hear but still have problem. This is a list of what we tried:

Had installed YPOPS in order to route the Yahoo email he has to Outlook Express but couldn't get it to work so uninstalled it.

Changed Identities in Outlook Express
    Recreated mail account
    Spoke to ISP Tech support for 1 hr, all settings correct and can send and receive via their webmail
    Pinged 127.0.0.1 (successful)
    Pinged mail.srcaccess.net (Successful)
    Telnet mail.srcaccess.net 110 (successful, shows going through AVG)
    Telnet mail.srcaccess.net 25 (Could not connect port 25)
    Disabled email scanning in AVG - no change to problem
    Disabled AVG completely - no change in problem
    Disabled Windows Firewall - no change in problem

The computer is connected to internet via dsl lan router that has 2 other computers connected. They can send and receive emails with outlook express with no problems, and they use the same port 25.

I thought about reinstalling outlook express but I don't have his XP disk (and neither does he) so I would have to completely redo the whole computer.

I thought about trying the Winsock fix I read about here and have downloaded the file but not sure how to run it (Don't know if I am getting above my head).

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. vicks

vicks

Dd you go into the Windows part of add/remove programs, disable IE, reboot then check it again and reboot for reinstall?

You could go to Microsoft and d/l IE7.
    Vicks

3. micwtx

micwtx Thread Starter

When I go to Add/ Remove programs it shows Windows Internet Explorer 7 and Windows XP Service Pack 3. when I click on either it does not offer the change/delete button that normally comes up when you wnat to remove a program. How do I disable it? Will this REMOVE it from my computer where I would need the XP disk to restore/reinstall it?
    Thanks for your help.

4. vicks

vicks

When you go to the add/remove window, on the left side should be the choice for windows items. click on that and when that loads and you scroll down, IE is listed. Uncheck it, reboot, then check it again. It should automatically become active.
    vicks

5. micwtx

micwtx Thread Starter

Just tried website:
    http://www.dbapool.com/portchecker.php

This site is supposed to check ports on servers. I put in mail.srcaccess.net and port number 25. It came up saying the port is blocked. I checked this using a different computer.
    Is it possible for their system to work via their webmail but not with outlook express? Their tech support told me that everything checked out on their end, but now I wonder?

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi micwtx

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

The results on that site, for port 25, are not going to be accurate unless, you can provide a user name and password.

All server settings, user name and passwords have been rechecked, thoroughly?
    Some ISP's require authentication, as well. On the Server tab of the account properties, verify this option is enabled: My server requires authentication.

Let us know if that makes a difference or not.

7. micwtx

micwtx Thread Starter

Thanks EAFielder. I have tried this several times but still did not work. Verified with ISP that this is NOT required by them.

Thanks Vicks, I tried this but no change.

I wonder if THIS may be the problem, but checking it has come up with another probelm. My ISP is WINDSTREAM, my friends is SRCACCESS. The computer is in MY home. I connected the computer via my router and I can surf the web to my hearts content and RECEIVE email using Outlook Express but NOT SEND. I took the computer to my neices house who also uses SRCACCESS but when I plug the computer in to her network cable (no router) it came up with "Limited or no connectivity" error. I tried to repair the connection but it could not renew the IP address. I verified that the connection WAS WORKING by reconnecting my neices computer and the connection was good. I brought the computer back to my house and once again I can connect to the internet without hiccups. Possibly there is something from MY ISP connection that needs resetting but I am at a loss how to do this. Biggest concern is that when my friend takes his computer back and plugs in to HIS SRCACCESS connection that he will get the same "Limited or no connecteivity" error. He is recovering from heart problems and does not need this aggravation. Neither do I!! Any help you can give me would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

8. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Ah, the light dawns. You are attempting to access the mail server for ISP B while connected to ISP A. SRCACCESS.net may not require authentication, but Windstream does require authentication.

Your best bet, is to work on this computer at your friends house.
    You could use the SMTP server settings for Windstream to actually send mail, in Outlook Express, but there isn't much point in doing that.

As for the limited or no connectivity problem, you won't know that until the system is reconnected in your friend's house.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice