1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot send mail Error 421 (but receive is okay)

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by FijiJohn, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FijiJohn

FijiJohn Thread Starter

Two Win 7 computers (desktop & laptop), side by side, both with Outlook 2010, both with the exact same settings in Outlook, both plugged into the same router. Both receive mail perfectly. One sends without any problem, but the other has never sent successfully and always gets "Error 421." (And actually, there is a 3rd computer, another laptop, connected wirelessly to the router with the exact same 421 problem.) A quick try with Thunderbird on the one with the send problem had the same problem - receive but not send,

I have seen 421s when the ISP and smtp server were different but this is all with the same ISP. Given that one box CAN send, and the failure with Thunderbird as well, I am guessing it is some setting in Win7 but have no idea what or where. Suggestions???

2. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

With many Outlook problems the best solution is to delete the mail account and recreate it. It's likely the mail account got corrupted and even though it shows the correct settings it's still won't work properly.

3. FijiJohn

FijiJohn Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. To be sure, I think I will re-try Thunderbird and see if it can send. I ran out of time to test properly and double check all settings but it did not work in my quick & dirty test. Plus, the fact that these people have two separate Win 7 laptops with the same problem makes we wonder what could be happening besides the usual (sigh) Outlook corruption.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice