Cannot set file/folder permissions recursively

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vgss

I've searched through the board and found a few people with the same problem, but unfortunately all the solutions that worked for them to not work entirely for me.

I had windows xp on my c:\, wanted to migrate to secondary HD f:\. Installed fine, but of course I can't access my stuff on c:\documents and settings\user because of file permissions.

If I click on a folder (say, user), then the security tab, select my new user account on the f:\, it's fine. For that particular folder only. It does not work recursively. I have to go into user\my pictures, repeat the procedure, and then I can access \my pictures.

Under the advanced/permissions tab, I made sure to check "inherit from parent the permission entries applied to child objects". It is confirmed above when I look at above in the Apply To field -- "This folder, subfolders, and files"

Yet I still cannot access any subfolder without manually okaying it from the previous directory level. I can okay groups of folders/files at once, but My Documents is a heavily nested directory (720 folders!) so I'm looking for a less time-consuming way to get my files back.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

vgss

Yes indeed. The security tab lists me as having full access to the master folder, just not its subfolders and files

I also tried logging on as Administrator in safe mode, that didn't work either. Or finding all files through Search and highlighting them all, then setting permission (said access was denied)

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
If you followed those instructions to the letter you should not be having the problems you are describing. We give that link out to everyone who has this issue.

Try redoing it again and make sure you set this: Replace owner on subcontainers and objects

vgss

Aha, I neglected to select the examples button. It was trying to give permission to User instead of MYCOMP\User.

Thanks a bunch.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online