1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Set PIN (and also not able to use fingerprint to log)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by inspireza, Jan 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inspireza

inspireza Thread Starter

Ok so the backstory here is that I always used to use my fingerprint to logon to Windows, but every now and again when the computer resumed from sleep or hibernation the fingerprint refuses to work unless I reboot the laptop. Unfortunately at this same time I realized that I forgot what my actual password was and could only logon using my fingerprint. To resolve the password issue I used software (boot from CD) called iseepassword which allowed me to reset my password. This worked but since then my logging on via fingerprint no longer works (it doesn't even show up as an option on the Windows Hello screen). Did some reading and found that it sounds like you must have a pin configured for the fingerprint option to work. At this stage a PIN was configured from previously but this option also doesn't show up on the Windows Hello screen. I removed the pin and tried to add one again but it just silently fails. I've tried a few things like removing the contents of the Ngc folder, changing my password, changing my account to a Microsoft account from a Local account but still no success. Please help?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice