1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot set Sound Recorder to open wav files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by marie500, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

Just started using XP on a new computer - copied wav files to CD, then to the new computer. It won't let me associate the wavs to open with Sound Recorder. The message box says: "filename.wav is not a valid Win32 application." I tried to to set the association via Folder Options but get the same message. But!, if I open Sound Recorder first, then open the wav file from the menu, it will play fine. This does not help with associating the files, though. They DO allow themselves to be set to open with Real Player, Windows Media, etc. Sound Recorder is even listed as a "suggested program" on the Open With menu! Also, the wav files themselves seem to be fine, I'm using several as Event Sounds, and the computer seems to be okay with them. Hope someone can help?

2. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

sorry...just want to add that I blocked Sndrec32.exe (=Sound Recorder) from accessing the internet. When I opened it, I got a firewall alert that it was trying to go online. That's a new one on me - - and I just want you to have all the info!

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

While its not a definitive answer, I would comment that Sound Recorder is a program that outputs .wav files, by recording them.

Its not a "player" of files per se, although it will.

It actually makes sense that it could have no association with .wav files, these would be for sound players to set the association.

An analogy would be that you want to load a digital photo back into the camera to edit it. (and you can do it) but I doubt if you could set a file association for that activity either.

And the request to go on line is simply to check if there were any new codecs available.

4. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

That's a good analogy, I hadn't thought of it that way before. Because, in 98SE, I DID use Sound Recorder as my wav player! (And, recorder & editor, but mainly player.) When I think of wavs, I think of Sound Recorder (the "association" is...in my head!) As you say, though, Sound Recorder basically creates the product, then you experience your end-product another way. I never took that last step. So, XP won't let wavs Open With>Sound Recorder and it's NOT just me messing up my XP?! Good to know!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice