1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Share on Wireless Network with Win XP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by comer47, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comer47

comer47 Thread Starter

I'm having a strange sharing problem and would appreciate any help: I just setup a wireless network with a USR router and 2 machines. 1 desktop machine has XP Pro installed on it and 1 notebook machine has XP Home installed. There is a printer attached to the desktop machine, and I'm trying to share it (and folders) with the other machine. I can see both machines in the workgroup, I can see the shares (and printer share), but when I try to connect to the printer i get a "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed message". I can do a net print command and see the queue...I can even do a command line print that makes the printer respond for a second, but doesn't print anything. When I view the SharedDocs share, I can see all files/folders underneath, but when I try to open or copy a file it cranks for a while, then gives me an error. I don't have any firewalls on, I have both Guest accounts activated, I have NetBios over TCP/IP enabled on both machines, I have matching usernames/passwords on each machine, I have everyone added to the permissions on the printer share. The file share problem happens the same both ways (from 1 computer to another). Thanks...

2. comer47

comer47 Thread Starter

Well, I've narrowed down the problem, so I posted a new thread. see:

Cannot open large files on wireless network

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice