1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot shut down without doing manual power off.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by hobler, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobler

hobler Thread Starter

My computer will not shut down with the "shut down" command. It goes to a screen with message "shutting down" then just sits there. I need to power off manually to shut it down. Once I reboot I can then shut down properly. But after some time of normal use I can't shut down. Are oine or more of my programs leaving some residual piece in place that doesn't stop when I close the program?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6007 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1316 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 939767 MB, Free - 832100 MB; G: Total - 953859 MB, Free - 714734 MB;
    Motherboard: Gateway, FIH57
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Hobler

2. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

May just be as simple as turning off wake on lan in networking. could we have you look in event viewer (type eventvwr in search) go to the windows logs>applications tab and look for errors, (red lin left hand column) looking for app hang, app crash, or anythingrelating to the hang. when you find the errors (there will be a bunch) note the event ID and source and relay them to us

3. hobler

hobler Thread Starter

Event ID Source
    72 SidebySide Most frequent
    1000 Application error
    8193 System restore
    1002 application hang

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice