1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot shutdown ever since new video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheDelphiGuy, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheDelphiGuy

TheDelphiGuy Thread Starter

Well, I recently just got and installed my PCI Geforce 6200 video card. It took a quite amount of time (I had to disable my intergrated graphics, restart in safe mode, blah blah blah), but I managed. RIGHT after I installed the driver, it asks: Do you want to restart now or later? I clicked "Now" and pressed finish, but my computer didn't restart. In my head I said, "wtf?", and just did it the manual way (hold the button on the tower for 5 seconds).

When I restarted, I booted up fine. I tried restarting again (to check if the malfunction I had before was one of those "once in a blue moon" types), but again, no avail. I know for a act it is shutting down, but I don't know why it doesn't actually shut down (ctrl alt del didn't work; opening up programs didn't work; etc).

Some misc. information: Driver was v. 84.21; I had to take out my modem to fit in the graphics card; I tried booting in safe mode but all that comes up is a bunch of driver paths on a DOS type of screen; I'm desperate Y_Y

Thanks in advance.

2. TheDelphiGuy

Bump (please, guys >_>)

3. TheDelphiGuy

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

You need to tell us about pc and hardware as well as OS in order for us to even guess...no one can answer what you posted intelligently because of that.

5. renegade X

renegade X

what processes do you have running? I bet one is hung up. Which would mean you probably need to uninstall/ reinstall.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Try the newest video driver from Nvidia's website. ALso make sure that you uninstalled the old video card drivers rather then just disabled it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice