1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Cannot start application installer"

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pierce_moffett, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pierce_moffett

pierce_moffett Thread Starter

Hello, I got a new computer today with Windows 7, and am having a lot of problems with devices. The computer does not have a working internet connection right now because my USB wireless adapter does not seem to work for it.

But my problem right now is that I am trying to install the print driver for a Brother 7820N multifunction printer/scanner/fax.On the Brother website they have a print driver package with installer. I downloaded the installer on another computer and saved it to a USB drive. But when I try to install it on the Windows 7 machine, I get a message saying " Cannot start application installer. ["C:\users\[my name]\documents\data\disk1\setup.exe" /clone_wait/10X9]

Can anyone give me a suggestion of what to do next?

The computer itself is a Gateway Core-i5, off-the-shelf machine from Fry's.

I have a fair amount of experience using XP, but none with Windows 7.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Try right clicking on the file and select "Run as Administrator" This may help.

3. pierce_moffett

Thanks for the. suggestion -- I did try that and got the same error message

4. antech

antech Banned

Did you download the driver installer for windows 7?
    Windows XP Drivers DO NOT tend to work with windows 7 but some vista drivers are compitable with seven.(Download the correct drivers)
    Check the manufacturers site for windows 7 drivers.

5. BillVB

BillVB

Try running the application in Compatibility, or right-click it and, if it's there, select 'Troubleshoot Compatibility'.

6. pierce_moffett

Thank you for the suggestions. I tried troubleshooting compatibility, and still get the same message: "cannot start application installer."

This is the Windows 7 driver, which I downloaded from the Brother website. I had to download the driver to a different computer and put it in a USB drive, then I transferred it to the new computer and tried to run the installer but it does not run.

7. pierce_moffett

The problem is solved -- I played around with it some more and was able to get it to install. Thanks for the suggestions.

8. antech

antech Banned

Please let us know the problem was solved.
    Please mark this as solved.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice