1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by fluteprof, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fluteprof

fluteprof Thread Starter

I recently removed admin rights from our end user computers (XP Pro-32bit). Everything works great using the "run as" option, except for Outlook 2007. That option doesn't seem to be available for Outlook. Whenever a user launches, they receive an error message stating "Cannot Start Microsoft Office Outlook." The only way to get Outlook to launch is to return local admin rights. All other Office products work.
    We are using an Exchange server, though it is in another office, and I do not have access to it. The end users have full control access to C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Office and C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. I also granted them access to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office.
    Is there anything else I need to give them access to? Any other ideas? I completed the installation of the software with admin rights, and am only now taking them away. I thought maybe there was an Active Directory issue here (since I inherited our current PDC and the associated AD accounts), but it's happening on all new users too.
    Can't find anything helpful about this on Google...
    Thanks!

2. Jason08

Jason08

Have you tried creating another profile in Outlook?

3. fluteprof

fluteprof Thread Starter

Yup. I even changed the security settings from "Negotiate Authentication" to "Password Authentication (NTLM)" (as referenced in another forum I found. Still no dice...

Thanks though!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/804223