1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook, Unable to open the Outlook window.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by kurthe, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kurthe

kurthe Thread Starter

We have all of our user's email set up to deliver to a personal folder that resides on a server with Windows 2003. We have a small number of people that get the error message below. They eventually get in, but either have to close outlook and reopen several times or they have to reboot their computer. Has anyone seen this before? Thanks!

"Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook, Unable to open the Outlook window.
    The set of folders could not be opened. The server is not available.
    Contact your administrator if this condition persists."

I have tried every suggestion I could find on the internet, but still haven't found a solution.

any help would be much appreciated.

2. ComputerFixer

ComputerFixer

I am having the same issue. It happened after trying to resolve another error message unable to open default e-mail folders .... outlook.pst is being used by another process. I started deleting old archive and files I deemed unnecessary in the outlook folder and now I am getting the same message that you posted. Please help if you can. Thanks.

3. kurthe

kurthe Thread Starter

I'm sorry we are still having this issue. We have not been able to find anything that fixes it. Are you having it with just one machine or more than one?

4. FretBuzzz

FretBuzzz

I had exactly the same error... Try running SCANPST.EXE , which sits in: C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\ - It fixed my problem 100%

Good luck

5. kurthe

kurthe Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion! We tried that too and it helped for a day or so, then the error came back. We have it on several computers though. We've even tried creating new pst files for the users.

6. FretBuzzz

FretBuzzz

Sorry man, I don't know what else to say - good luck with it though...

7. tjsokol

tjsokol

I just talked to someone today with this exact problem. Microsoft has an article about this error which helped me fix it, at least for now.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/252304

Outlook.exe was NOT in compatibility mode, which is fix #1. The user was running XP so I had her go into the registry, backup the Profiles key under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem," then delete the Profiles key. Outlook gave her the same error. Restored the Profiles key from backup and Outlook allowed her to connect. It's a weird kind of fix, but it worked for now.

8. foxy8675309

foxy8675309

Control Panel
    Mail
    Show Profiles
    Remove the profile listed
    Add %username%

9. CSA Technolgy

CSA Technolgy

I have a client with this same problem and I have tried everything I have found to resolve it. I created a new profile, that only worked for a few days. I followed ALL of MS solution's (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/252304)..no luck. Renamed .pst, rebooted,and renamed it back..nope... I finally got with a friend who has his own pc repair company and told me the only thing that he has found that works is to uninstall Office 2007 completely, then run a program called "ripout office 2007", then reinstalling. I am in the process of trying this and will let you know how it goes after a week or so.

10. d-pabs

d-pabs

I encountered the same problem 3 days ago. I found this solution on the net. As of now, it's working fine.

Start->run..then type the following -> "Outlook.exe /resetnavpane"

11. skotmorris

skotmorris

Sweet! I have an XP Pro SP3 w/Office 2007. This error message just poppped up today. However, d-pabs "outlook.exe /resetnavpane" fixed the problem immediately. I did run an office diagnostics right after and now it's all good.

12. d-pabs

d-pabs

I'd like to update this. It seems my fix is only a temporary fix? Has anyone been having problems with their Outlook 2007 crashing once they click on an email? It seems as though it's getting caught up in the 'reading pane' or something? Mine has been crashing at least 5+ times a day randomly for the last 3-4 weeks; bizarre because I've never had issues until now. After this crash, I get the same error message "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook, Unable to open the Outlook window." and must re-run my 'fix'. Has anyone else encountered this?

13. ReleaseTheHounds

ReleaseTheHounds

Not sure if this will apply to others... I just got this error message today for the first time (using Windows XP Professional). I restored my registry from an update just a few days ago and was able to open Outlook without incident and with no error messages. Keeping my fingers crossed.

14. Infinityplusone

Infinityplusone

15. Infinityplusone

Infinityplusone

This worked. Thank you very much.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544134