1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot start MS Outlook

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ro8484, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ro8484

ro8484 Thread Starter

It appears this has been a problem, but I can't seem to fix it even with MS online help. Error message... Cannot start MS Outlook. Unable to open window. The set folders could not be opened.....the server is not available...
    Online's directions to go to Change Office User settings don't get it?
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled... please help

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

If you are having troubles with Microsoft Outlook and have already un-installed and then re-installed and it is still not working then you might have an infection of the computer. Please try this and we will find out:

To download HJTsetup.exe fromTrendSecure To Download HijackThis go to the following at the File Repository
    Click on the link below to Download HijackThis Self Installer:

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/HJTInstall.exe

Save the file to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
    Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
    A security expert with a gold shield to the right of their name should take a look at your log - please be patient.

3. ro8484

ro8484 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, but while I waited I tried other ideas that I saw posted. And that had to do with changing the .pst data file to a new one. It was very confusing to me but after a struggle I think I have outlook working. Now I just need to get the personal folders wihtin outlook working wihtout a similar error code. I wish the directions for working with data files was not so confusing.

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi ro8484

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

I have removed your other thread, please do not create duplicate threads.
    Continue replies for this issue here.
    Thank you.

What version of Outlook are you using?

Are you still receiving an error if you use File > Open > Outlook Data File to open the former .pst file?

5. ro8484

ro8484 Thread Starter

I'm using Outlook 2003 that was bundles with Office 2003 Student/Teacher Edition.
    And yes, if I try to open the older file ending in Outlook1.pst I get an error message. All I wanted to do is get outlook working and these data files confuse me. I now have 4 personal folders in my mail folders? I think one is associated with the bad data file and the others go with my two family members that have email addresses. I also noticed that my address book has an extra contact entry wnow that I imported my address book from Outlook express (which I was using since fukll version was working)
    Sorry I duplicated threads but I'm not used to message boards and I was getting desperate. Should I now remove that badf data file?

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Outlook files are referred to by several names:
    .pst files
    Personal Folders
    Outlook Data files

Yes, you can remove any Personal Folder from Outlook 2003 that is not the Default Delivery Location.
    This will be obvious when you attempt to remove the Personal Folder and the Close "Name of Personal Folder" option is grayed out or disabled.

Right click on the Root or Top folder of the Personal Folders and select Close "Name of Personal Folder"

Before you close any Personal Folders,
    Right click the Root or Top folder of the Personal Folders
    Properties of "Name of Personal Folders" > Advanced button
    Look in the Format field.
    It will read as:
    Personal Folders File
    or
    Personal Folders File (97-2002)

You can also see this using:
    File > Data File Management
    Highlight each file and click the Settings button.

Can you tell what format the problem .pst file has?
    Also, what size is the file?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!