Cannot start XP - Registry file failure

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Himanshu

Hello all,

Win XP pro does not start. After the "loading XP window with the progress bar", I get a blue screen with the following error:

or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent or not writable.

Lately, the BSOD had started appearing quite frequently and everytime a different error code used to appear.
The last time I was shutting down my computer the BSOD had appeared and so I switched it off from the main power switch. This probably corrupted some registry settings.(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822705)

Any help shall be greatly appreciated.

Himanshu

I had made a set of 6 XP setup disks a few months ago. Are these setup disks specific to my system or common for all XP systems? Can these be used to correct the registry?

dai

a repair is done by booting from the xp cd and choosing install
then continuing with install until windows finds the previous installation and offers the repair

Himanshu

Great to see you again,dai.
I am performing the upgrade and lets see if I am sucessful.

Himanshu

The lsass.exe system error -An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function.
pops up during "installling windows" step. On pressing Ok the pc reboots.
What do I do? Format and fresh install?

dai

found this
If the lsass.exe is spelt with a capital L this is ok...if spelt all lower case this is a virus
try the repair again

Himanshu

It is a small l.
I have tried the repair several times. Each time, on clicking ok on this lsass error window ,the pc reboots.

dai

it looks like format will be the quickest,i can find plenty on lsass but nothing on how to get around it on a reinstall

Himanshu

When XP was fine, I regularly scanned my computer with online scans, avg free with latest def was installed, XP firewall was enabled.

Any idea how can I access C drive using recovery console?It asks for administrator password (which is actually blank).

dai

leave blank and press enter
in the recovery console type help and it will give a list of available commands
i am not sure if it is a virus but it is virtually all that come up on searches and you need to be into windows to do anything with the search results
i was looking for it appearing in an install or a repair,i did find a link to ms but it has been removed and the only thing close said to install the latest sp,which is not much use in the circumstances and i think it is because it is patched to stop the virus after sp1
that's why i suggested the format might be the quickest option

Himanshu

>>Leave blank and press enter
This used to work when "Registry error" used to be displayed.
But after I Performed part 1 , 2 and 3 mentioned at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545, the lsass.exe error started comming.
Now even after pressing enter in Recovery console, it says invalid password.

Anyway I will format C partition.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online