1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot transfer files from a dying laptop hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grinolot, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grinolot

grinolot Thread Starter

I am using a ribbon cable with a pcmcia card that connects to my working laptop on one end and a connector on the other end that connects to my failing hard drive. When I view the contents of the failing hard drive, I see the folders, but cannot access the files that the folders contain. How can I obtain access to them and transfer them to my good hard drive/laptop?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. grinolot

grinolot Thread Starter

I thought maybe that would do it, but it did not. I go into the failing hard drive in documents and settings and look at the user folder and it says 0 bytes under properties. When I try to follow the above directions, I do not see a security tab.

4. Mulderator

Mulderator

Have you tried hooking that drive up to a desktop with an IDE adapter? You can get them for about $8 at CompUSA and other places.

Also, you may want to stick that drive in a freezer for a half hour. I've read on more than one occasion that a failing or failed hard drive may work for awhile if very cold (I don't know why).

5. grinolot

grinolot Thread Starter

Those are good thoughts that I could try.
    Somebody helped me see the files previously, but I'm not sure how he did it and he is not available right now. I was trying to figure out what he did.

6. Jsortland

Jsortland

Cold contracts.. thats why :p ... you might also be out of luck if the hard drive is failing you may not get the files sounds like the hard drive is near scrap metal :")

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice