1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot turn off Hotmail's Rich-Text Editor

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mooiness, Oct 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mooiness

mooiness Thread Starter

Hey all.

The situation is: I would prefer to use Firefox all the time but it doesn't sit well with Hotmail's rich-text editor. If you access Hotmail via FF and then try to reply a mail, the included original text turns into plain-text HTML code.

So I try to turn off the rich-text editor by using IE6 (WinXP SP2) to access Hotmail, but I can't. The same pop-up would come up warning that formatting will be removed from signatures and draft messages, and the rich-text toolbar would remain in place.

I looked at this post:
    weblink = forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=390383&page=2
    but it didn't help.

I've mailed MSN support and followed their suggestions (changed security and advanced options back to default) and still no luck. Am currently waiting for their follow-up mail.

I've replicated the problem on two different PCs and using two different Hotmail accounts. So I can safely assume that it's to do with the programming of that site?

Just want to put this out here to try my luck with you guys. Thanks.

p.s. Yes have considered moving away from Hotmail but I thought that there has to be a solution. M$ can't possibly force ppl to use HTML in Hotmail right?

2. JudyR

JudyR

I use dial-up, have Norton Antivirus, IE5, and Windows ME and have had no problems for years . Same with my Hotmail account I set up 7 years ago. I hadn't used the Rich-Text feature for a number of years, but did so a couple of weeks ago, and the problem started immediately. It seems unfixable, despite detailed suggestions from Hotmail, and lots of helpful posts here, which I have followed carefully. I even opened a new Hotmail account, with the same result re RTE. I dare not try it on a computer belonging to another member of my family - they probably wouldn't appreciate it!!

When I click on Compose, the screen opens all the time now in the RTE mode. The emails I send arrive successfully; when I click Reply (to an email) I have to wait a few seconds before all the "gobbledy-gook" disappears, then I go ahead and type.

Probably sounds like I don't have much of a problem, but I like the Plain Text better for some reason. I have a Yahoo account, but still prefer Hotmail.

I also cannot delete Folders or Contacts. This started a couple of months ago (before the RTE problem), the day after I transferred a letter from Junk Mail to my Inbox, with the idea of unsubscribing from a particular newsletter. The "advice" from Hotmail was useless, but they are "working on the problem"!!

3. mooiness

mooiness Thread Starter

Damn - at least I know I'm not the only one, but this is really cheesing me off. I'm sure more than a few ppl have contacted them for support about this and yet nothing has changed. I sense a conspiracy - surely a major service like Hotmail would have been bug-tested to hell and back???

4. mooiness

mooiness Thread Starter

Ok found the solution - you have to use MSN Explorer (Start - All Programs - MSN Explorer) and turn off the Rich-Text Editor that way.

Boy that had been difficult. MSN support replied me earlier to try using IE6 (which I've already done), Netscape 8 (I downloaded and tested it - didn't work) and MSN Explorer (works!). I've replied to them asking to note that their remedy did not work on IE6 and Netscape. Think they'd care? ;)

5. lakrsrool

lakrsrool

^ What exactly do you mean by "MSN Explorer" ? There is the Windows Explorer, but I'm sure this is not what you are refering to. I use WIN98SE so possibly you are refering to something with a more recent OS.

thanks for a more specific answer for the above in advance.

Also I posted this on another thread so I'll go ahead and post it here also:

6. mooiness

mooiness Thread Starter

Larksrool: Am using WinXP and if you did: Start - All Programs, you'd see "MSN Explorer". Essentially it's a browser with added bits for noobs.

7. sekirt

sekirt

8. lakrsrool

lakrsrool

mooiness wrote
    Ahhh, the key word here is "browser", now I know you mean "Internet Explorer" which is what WIN98 calls the Internet browser. Apparently WinXP calls the Internet "Browser", "MSN Explorer. I really never payed any attention on occassion when I use WinXP.

So actually your incorrect, in my case I DO NOT have "MSN Explorer" in my Programs directory which is why I asked, but I know what you mean now. :)

9. lakrsrool

lakrsrool

sekirt wrote:
    Thanks for the link sekirt, after looking at the site it appears to be an inhanced browser setup that integrates a lot of seperate programs such as email, music, video etc.

I would guess that most that use this are also using MSN as their ISP. I really do not trust MSN that much. They tend to mess things up from my experience. So I'd prefer to have more control of my programs rather than having MSN integrate everything. For one thing I would lose my Outlook Express email (I noticed that if I uninstalled MSN Explorer I would then have to setup all of my POP mail accounts over again :( ), which is generally what almost all ISP's support, not to mention I am much more comfortable using Outlook Express myself in that I have more control over my email accounts and settings. I also prefer not to let MSN decide what my default players are and so on.

But thanks anyway, I'll just wait for MSN to fix their Hotmail and if not well I have another 10 email accounts so no big deal. :D

10. Floater7

Floater7

I too could not get that darned rich text editor to turn off in Hotmail. I would just get an error message.
    Out of frustration I tried pressing CTRL-ALT while clicking off the editor from the Tools menu and it worked!

11. helenann00

helenann00

Thank you Floater7! CTRL/ALT worked for me, too (also using XP).

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/405257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice