1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot uninstall skype!....

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by carriejahnke, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carriejahnke

carriejahnke Thread Starter

Operating System: Windows 7 32 bit
    Ram: 2gb
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5300 @ 1.73GHz 1.73 GHz

Hello,
    I have been having this problem for maybe 2-3 months now.
    Back then, Skype started giving me a problem where it would freeze my computer every time I opened the program. This actually started happening when I was fixing something else on my computer. My "Public Folders" were appearing just as simple yellow folders. I did some googling on this problem and found a fix-it site that had me replace the desktop.ini files in each folder in order to make the "public folders" have the standard icons that they are supposed to have.
    This was the website I used to do this: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/172301-public-folder-icons-restore-default-icon.html
    However...this is for Windows Vista, and I have windows 7...so I am not sure if I messed something up, but like I said, around this time is when my Skype stopped working.

So...my first thought was just to uninstall, and reinstall it. However, I ran into a bumpy road with this. I cannot get it to uninstall!
    When I go to unistall it, it says that it cannot find the "skype.msi" file to continue the uninstallation.
    I have searched online and found other people dealing with this problem.
    I have tried deleting every possible file on my computer having to do with skype, but it still shows up on my uninstall list, as well as my start menu.

To do that, I went to RUN, and typed %AppData%
    then, I deleted the skype folder from there
    Next, I used RegSeeker 1.55 to search my computer for anything in the registry containing the word "skype" and then deleted what it found.

I just want to get this program off of my computer, and would be glad if anyone could offer some help.

2. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

You need to avoid registry cleaners/optimizers/boosters like the plague. They do nothing to improve speed or performance. What they do is break certain programs and damage the operating system.

RegSeeker 1.55 is a very outdated registry "cleaner" and is well known for breaking Microsoft-named programs.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Try using Revo Uninstaller 1.85 to get rid of Skype.

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. carriejahnke

4. flavallee

If you look at the date of that forum thread, it's about 2-1/2 years old.

Have you gone to the Skype home page and looked for a support or troubleshooting section?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

5. carriejahnke

there isn't really anything related to uninstalling skype that is very recent. But, I had an older version of skype (skype 3.6) so that is why I was referring to that older post.
    I hope I haven't done too much damage to my computer after doing that registry thing.

6. flavallee

Get rid of RegSeeker and avoid cleaner/optimizer/booster/tuneup type programs in the future.

Since you've already manually deleted folders for Skype, you're probably going to have trouble uninstalling or reinstalling it. The remnants of it need to be manually deleted from the file system and the registry, but you need to know what you're doing to do that. And I'm not about to try to walk you through it, especially since I've never used Windows 7.

------------------------------------------------------------

7. carriejahnke

Actually all of the files are back...because it doesn't fully delete it like restores it's files everytime I restart. However, I still cannot uninstall it the regular way. It says it is missing the skype.msi file

8. flavallee

Do a search for skype.msi and see if it's in your computer somewhere.

If it's not, and you can't uninstall it with Revo Uninstaller 1.85, I don't know what else to tell you.

----------------------------------------------------------------

9. carriejahnke

I tried using that Revo Uninstaller 1.85, and it also did not work because it said it can't find the skype.msi file.
    I searched my computer, and I do not have a skype.msi file

10. flavallee

Skype can be gotten rid of manually by nuking its files and registry entries, but I'm not going to try to walk you through it with Windows 7 - which I've never used.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

11. carriejahnke

Do you think I should re-post this in the Windows 7 Forum?

12. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

From what I understand, the .msi file is for the Skype toolbar that integrates with the MS Office products.

So, first, I'd try downloading a fresh installation of Skype and safe it to your computer. Try to install it. It may very well just install overtop of the existing corrupted one, and replace any files or fix any corruption. If so, then you will be able to uninstall it.

If that does not work, then try using Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

1 - Download Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup Utility

2 - Run downloaded utility from Start -> All Programs

3 - Select (All users)Skype (whatever your version is) and then 'Remove'

4 - Download and install latest version of Skype if you want (I think the newest is version (4.1) which has had this problem patched, I have heard.

13. WarByrd

WarByrd

from now on only use windows add/remove programs for uninstalling, it will remove your programs better than just using the uninstall feature of most programs.

14. flavallee

LauraMJ:

Thanks for jumping in. I'm not a Skype nor a Windows 7 user. Hopefully, the Windows installer cleanup utility will do the trick.

---------------------------------------------------------------

15. WarByrd

WarByrd

you can loose extra needed drivers using that utility.... you run it and it can erase much desired drivers....

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/910613