1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Cannot update Chrome

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Vettepartz, Mar 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vettepartz

Vettepartz Thread Starter

I am running Windows 7 on my desktop computer. I also have Google Chrome. When I open Chrome, I try to see which version I have by using the 'Help' tab. There, it says that ' Updates are disabled by your administrator' and I now have an older version. I am the only one that uses this home computer, and thought that I was the administrator. How can I change this so I can get Chrome updates?

2. SteveSeidel

SteveSeidel

3. Daslles

Daslles

Thank you for your info.

4. Vettepartz

When I go to Start in Windows, I type in 'regedit' and it says it cannot find this program.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    regedit.exe
    and press the enter key.
    What happens?

6. Vettepartz

It comes up with a window that says " Windows cannot find 'search:query=regedit.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

7. smith962874

smith962874

For updating your chrome browser, you have to follow these steps:
    1. Click on the three vertical dots on the top right corner of your Google Chrome browser and go down to the Settings.
    2. In the settings page, go to Settings>Advanced>reset and clean up.
    3. Click on reset and confirm your selection when the popup window appears.
    4. Alternatively, you can reach the Reset and Cleanup destination by typing the following command : chrome://settings/reset in the Address bar.
    Ta TaDa, you are good to go. :)

8. Vettepartz

smith962874, I tried that and I still have the older version of Chrome. It still says 'Updates are disabled by your administrator'.

9. Vettepartz

I opened up my C drive, then found 'Windows' then found 'regedit.exe.' and clicked on it. I followed the instructions from above and set the Chrome updates to "1".
    Now everything works like it should and I get the most current update when I look at Chrome Help. Thanks!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice