1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot update drivers to USB2.0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by individual, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. individual

individual Thread Starter

Hey everyone, I have an issue that has been bugging me for weeks, that alas I cannot solve. Usually I can solve most things, but this problem eludes me, and apparently most of the internet.

I have an ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution mobo, with 6x USB2.0 ports on the I/O panel. None of these USB ports are running at enhanced speeds, and no matter how I go about it, they will not update drivers. Ive got the latest windows updates (running windows 7 x64), latest chipset drivers and BIOS for the mobo, Been through the bios and made sure that USB2.0 is enabled and Legacy USB support is disabled (was originally enabled, no difference) Tried manually updating drivers but it says "windows has determined you already have the latest drivers. etc"

Tried manally uninstalling individual USB ports in the device manager, but the only way to recognize the device again is to scan for hardware changes, and then it just re-installs the same drivers.

this problem baffles me.

Ive heard people say if you uninstall EVERYTHING to do with USB and their controllers, root hubs etc then go back to dev manager and force it to rescan it will work, but I need a PS2 mouse and keyboard, I have USB, and would prefer not to go out and buy one solely for this fix (I live in a very remote area).

If anyone has any suggestions of knowledge on this issue, and could help me anyway, I would be extremely grateful.

Cheers,
    Mitchell.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    In Device Manager > Usb controllers is there a USB 2.0 Enhanced host controller entry ?

3. individual

Sorry I meant to post this Picture with it.

the top two say enhanced, but they are the USB 2.0 headers on the actual motherboard, not the I/O ports (tried transfers to a new corsair usb on each i/o port, all 7.5mbps or below)

Mitch.

EDIt: I did a clean install to see if it would solve the issue (hence the lack of desktop customization), but no luck.

Attached Files:

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  5. individual

It takes over an hour to transfer 13 gigs, about 5 minutes a gig. way too slow, it should be able to do that in under a minute per gig. Ill download the program and post my results.

6. individual

I'm getting a maximum of 18.9mbps

7. PSAKay

PSAKay Banned

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That's a typical sort of max. speed using HDTune. I get 16.4 and 23.6 with 2 Kingston sticks. You never get the speed the maker's quote.

9. individual

But I know with my board, instead of getting "INTEL(r) ICH10 family USB universal host controller", it should be "EICH10 Enhanced (something something something)" for all of them, not just 2. I used to get a lot higher speeds. When I transfer files onto the USB, not testing with HDtune (which is an excellent program, cheers Managed :) ) It goes at 2.0 speeds for a few seconds, then slows down substantially. and most people i know with USB 2.0 are saying they get an average of 51/52mbps (cited 60 on the packaging), I'd be lucky in real world conditions to get 7.5. I know the HD tune results say different, but I know when i copy over files, it is considerably slower. at an average of 18.9mbps i should transfer 1GB in 52 seconds, and It takes over 5 minutes.

Are there any limitations or priority settings that may affect this??

**EDIT: Uploaded Picture.

Attached Files:

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you checked your bios settings? If not, then do so. There are 3 bios settings for usb; one enables usb2, one sets the speed of the usb controller and the last enables legacy support.

BTW you are never going to see anything close to the max speed when using a usb flash drive. There is a LOT of difference between drives; just getting a usb3 drive will improve performance even when using usb2 ports. I have a few usb3 drives and they are much faster even when using the usb2 port rather than the usb3 port.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  12. individual

Ive got a corsair and a sandisk USB, both 32gb, and the file was 1 file, not thousands of small ones.

I've looked at my bios and tried, auto, disabled and enabled for legacy control.

I know that it used to be a lot faster, not to sound rude, all the advice youre giving me and telling me that it's normal, is sound, and it may be normal for a lot of people but not for me. but It used to be able to do that file in under a minute, easily, and it never bothered me too much until recently.

**EDIT just installed the new drivers, Triple6, no change, even after restart.

The settings for my USB in bios are what they should be, on hi-speed and legacy disabled.

13. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

What you have is a slow/normal USB stick.

USB 1.1 is only around 1 MB/sec transfer speed. Try it on a USB HDD and you should find it transferring large files at around 22-27 MB/sec.

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I think the speed is higher when a Usb stick is less full. If so maybe that is why yours seem slower now.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice