1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot update to IE6

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jumpa, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jumpa

jumpa Thread Starter

I was able to get up and running again after a major crash of ME by running setup repeatedly until succesfull.
    Somehow IE reverted back to version 5.5, after running the update for IE6 it shows a message indicating that not all components have been installed.
    I am afraid that possibly some of the security components may be missing.
    What can I do to correct this problem.

2. elaich

elaich

This was a bug in IE 5.5 that shipped with ME. IE 6 will not install completely or at all unless IE 5.5 has been upgraded to Service Pack 2.

Go to www.litepc.com and download IEradicator. Make sure you have IE 6 as a complete installer file or on a CD. If you don't have it, go to Windows Update and download the entire thing (about 70 MB.) I am NOT talking about the small file that WU puts on your disk that will allow you to download and install as one process. I'm talking about the entire standalone installation package of IE 6.

Use IEradicator to eradicate IE completely, reboot, then do a clean install of IE 6.

3. jumpa

jumpa Thread Starter

Does the complete erase of IE also remove all the stored emails and addresses from Outlook Express?

4. aarhus2004

aarhus2004 Gone but always remembered

This is a bump.

Re: elaich's post above.

The complete installation package from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.mspx

Is this of significance? From the LitePC free software:

"IEradicator is a tiny (~25k), free utility to strip IE4 and IE5 from unmodified Windows98 or Windows98SE installations without requiring any additional files."

That is will it work with WinMe?

5. TOGG

TOGG

When I had IE 5.5 SP2 (on Win 98), I upgraded by installing IE6 from a magazine coverdisk I had lying around and then d/l SP1 on its own. I certainly did not attempt to remove earlier versions and I don't know if that's necessary for ME users, but I would doubt it somehow.

MS won't allow magazines to distribute it any more, but it should be on most ISP's free CD's. Saves a massive d/l if, like me, you're on dialup.

Once I had upgraded, I shut down all the dangerous IE components, put Windows Update in the Trusted Zone, and switched to Opera and, occasionally, Firefox.

6. jumpa

jumpa Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

However, I was able to re-install IE 5.5 using a download package from MS with cummulative updates without having to scrub IE.
    I would like to use windows update and try to upgrade to IE 6.

Does anyone have any comments?

Thanks for your help. (y)

7. 911

Windows Update sounds like the way to go. I use the automatic version.

8. jumpa

jumpa Thread Starter

:) (y)
    I was able to load IE 6 SP1 with all cummulative updates using the MS update website.
    Also updated ME that way.
    System seems to be running good right now.

There is one concern some of the files in start-up in msconfig are duplicates, how do I eliminate these or should I leave them there? I have them unchecked right now. :confused:

9. aarhus2004

aarhus2004 Gone but always remembered

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice