1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot update to IE8 from IE6... HELP!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by savagepat, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. savagepat

savagepat Thread Starter

Hello. Here's the problem. 1st I had rootkit virus's and got help from Kevin80 over in the Malware and Virus section. Here is the link URL>> http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/974671-jump-redirect-ie6-help.html. Anyways, he helped me find and get rid of several virus's and the likes. My problem is this: I cannot update from IE6 to IE8. Everytime I try, it downloads and installs fine, but when I go to open IE8, it opens and then about 5-10 seconds later it closes itself. I open it...it closes. I open it...it closes. Driving me nuts! I have reset everything to default, with no success. I have tried it in safe mode, after running Combofix, TDSS killer, Security Check, Malwarebytes, Ccleaner, SuperAntiSpyware, HiJackThis, Avast Antivirus, and every other thing he recommended. Nothing seems to be working. Right now, I'm using either Google Chrome, which I don't really care for, or my old version IE6, which is becoming increasingly obsolete. Any Idea's?? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

did some research on this and am not finding anything on going from ie6 to ie8....

It seems from what random discussion I've found you can go ie6 to ie8.
    Then trying to find from microsoft if going from 6 to 8 direct is possible.... and am striking out so far.

I'd think you would have to progress to 7 first then 8. It seems that you are staying current with you updates, and then-if not, manually work on the updates. I've found that "since my auto-update" was off, my attempts to catch up with the needed updates where thrown a curve to be successful, I figured that some updates needed others to be successful, but have progressed well to be current with microsoft.

This is a good topic, and would enjoy discussion to help figure this one out.

3. savagepat

savagepat Thread Starter

I was thinking the same thing. I just went and downloaded IE7 from Windows Update site. It seems to be working fine so far. The last time I tried it, it was still the BETA version and full of bugs. We'll see how it works for awhile and then I'll try IE8 again. I don't really care for the "tabs", but that seems to be the way all browsers are going. Google Chrome, Mozilla Foxfire and IE8 all seem about the same.

4. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

Hi savagepat,

I had IE7 a long time before I finally moved to IE8, IE 7 always worked well for me.

You should be able to turn off the tabs function in IE7 by going to "Tools", then "Internet Options". The "General Tab" should come up first anyhow and you should be able to find the "Tabs" option towards the bottom, click on "Settings". You would probably have to re-start your computer for the changes to take effect.

5. savagepat

savagepat Thread Starter

OK, I got rid of the tabs.Thank you. The wife went and downloaded IE8 without telling me--It's still doing the same thing. Open it and it closes itself. So skipping over IE7 was not the problem. However I am now using IE7 and so far it seems to be stable. Although it did close itself once. Not since then, though.

6. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

Greetings.....

My best guess, especially if IE7 is currently more/less stable, run with that for a spell.

Curious if your auto-updates is set to on? Right click on "My Computer", then "properties". A "System Properties" window should open with several "tabs" on it. Click on the "Automatic Updates" tab. See if it is set for "Automatic". If not don't change it just yet. Mine is still set to off, as I decided to manually nurse me computer back.

Can't imagine anything interfering with IE8 running properly, there may still be some nefarious software lurking around on your computer and/or may need time for the IE7 to settle in "so to speak" so give it a short spell.

7. savagepat

savagepat Thread Starter

It must be an IE8 problem that is conflicting with something on my computer. As stated, I am now using IE7 with no problems. IE8 still closes itself for no reason. I have also tried Google Chrome and Mozilla foxfire. They both seem to work ok too, but I prefer IE7. I've been up and down this machine with Kevin80, over in the Malware and Virus section. We were able to rid my machine of several things, but there must be something still lurking in the shadows. Either that or every download of IE8 is corrupt.

8. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

Super happy to hear that the IE7 is working fine. Give it some time....... :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice