Cannot update Windows 10 to 20H2

gazza

Hi,

I did just as you have mentioned, I did the fresh installation of Windows 10 (21H1), with the internet disconnected. And once up and running, I then connected the internet again, and one by one firstly installed the ASUS updates, rebooting between each one. In case, they caused any problems.

I then did the Windows Update, and that seemed to go well. As I had no problems with black screens, and the computer seemed to go well.

Until I tried to re-install some vital programs for me, and they could not pick up on the backups I had made previously. Because when I clicked on the file in File Explorer, the contents showed nothing. So as I could not use the computer, with the re-installed software. I had to go back on a System Restore, and take the computer back to the start again.

Just for information purposes, after re-installing the computer back to 1903 version, I tried using the Windows Update Assistant, to get the latest update onto my computer. Without having to use Windows Update, which will not allow me past the 20H2 update. But again whatever the update was, it again froze at 48% and i had to undo the update.

Last edited:

gazza

I think I have worked out what went wrong, with the last Clean Install of 21H1.

The 21H1 ISO worked and got my computer past the 20H2 update, that I was having problems with. But on the same SSD drive I use for C:\, I have another partition for Backup 2:\, which had all the files I wanted to use, after I had done the Clean Installation.

Somehow during the Clean Install and when I was removing the partitions on the Drive 0, I must have highlighted the Backup 2:\ partition as well by accident. So when the Install went ahead, it cleared the Drive 0 items, and at the same time also cleared the Backup 2:\ partition as well.

Luckily I have all of the files I needed backed up on another drive, so when I do the 21H1 Clean Install again. I now know where the files are that I need.

My apologies for my confusion.

crjdriver

Did you read the black screen when you tried with rufus? It is telling you why it will not boot. Your system is in legacy mode ie bios set to legacy. If you have an old system, you need to create the bootable usb in mbr mode NOT gpt mode. If you have a modern system, then you simply set the bios for uefi mode.

gazza

Hi,
Thanks for all the replies.

I have got over this problem, as I have downloaded and used the 21H1 ISO, and I got that version of Windows 10 to work and install on my C:\ drive. Plus, I also got Windows Update to install further updates and Driver updates.

But, I had problems with some other software I usually have on my computer, and I could not use a backup I had to install the software on the 21H1 system. So, I had to go back to 1903 via a backup.

So, I had to make and use a Windows Repair Disk, so that I could put back the 1903 system image backup.

Now this is what I don't understand what has happened:

During the re-installation of the 1903 system image, the Repair Disk had to reformat the C:\ partition. But, what I don't understand is how the disk has formatted the C:\ partition and also my F:\ partition. Which are both on the same 1TB Solid State Drive.

This time I chose, during the re-installation only the Disk 0 partitions, and I deleted them. Making sure that I stayed away from the F:\ partition.

What I am wondering about, is how can I stop the F:\ drive from being formatted at the same time as the C:\ drive? As I was always under the impression, that if I use a Repair Disk and a Backup, it would only format the C:\ partition?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online