1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot update Windows/Problems with NAV2004

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Blackraven, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blackraven

Blackraven Thread Starter

Intell Pentium 3,W98se,ISP-Sympatico HSP.
    When trying to update Windows, it does load but page is blank.
    I also downloaded free trial of NAV 2004,however,when I try to use this product it seems to freeze and I can't scan for viruses. Please keep it simple. P.S I un-installed my NAV 2003 in order to install NAV 2004. Also it takes forever for any page to load.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Just uninstall NAV '04 in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel, (and any other anti-virus you have on there. You can not have two anti-virus programs on the same computer. Two firewalls at once are not recommended either by the Security industry. Restart your computer after the uninstall(s).

Go get Free AVG Anti-Virus

Give them a valid e-mail address as they'll send you an installKey needed for Setup. Be sure you have a firewall like Free Sygate running from Click Here You must be on-line during the install of Sygate.

3. Blackraven

Hey Styxx,
    Thx for your input and will try AGV.
    Sincerely, Blackraven
    p.s tried to delete e-mail in my msn inbox & recieved a error messege....An exception Runtime Error has occured in Script. However, no debuggers are registered that can de-bug this exception. Unable to JIT Bug. Whats up with that? Thx again.

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

I'd just uninstall MSN Explorer; Restart your computer; Reinstall MSN Explorer. If MSN Explorer is what you mean by "msn"
    You can get a fresh download of MSN Explorer 7.02 Click Here

5. Blackraven

Hey again Styxx,
    just downloaded Avg,and what a blessing. However it detected a trojan horse virus.Stating it was a trogan horse dialer. What does it mean by "dialer"? Thx again Styxx

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

AVG is excellent, I use it too. Ask how to update its definitions weekly. Well a Trojan Horse Dialer lets a remote user (a hacker or cracker) use your computer, without your knowing it while you're on-line, to do such things like delete, move or modify any file on your computer (that could make your computer inoperable and make you think you caused that or many other vague problems and, do the same to other unprotected (No Firewall) computers including attacking servers like Yahoo, E-bay, the FBI website and many others Yea, you'd want to Delete or quarantine that immediately. Did you? You may need to temporarily disable your computer's screen saver (choose None) and run a scan with AVG ASAP. The rule with anti-virus is, "when in doubt delete." If the Anti-virus warning screen appears you just click the 'E' key. Notice the 'E' key is yellow in the word Delete or, the AV program just prompts you if you want to Delete or Quarantine.

Don't want any more Trojans like this or a hundred others on your computer? Get the Sygate Firewall I recommended in my post above, immediately if not sooner. You have to be on-line to install Sygate as it wants to register at the end of the install process, let it!

There are several easy to do configuration changes you need to do to Sygate once it's installed and registered. Ask me about that and how to update AVG weekly as well.

7. Blackraven

Styxx, I just downloaded the suggested Sygate Firewall and said yes to everything it ask me. I am abit nervous cuz I have never had a firewall and I hope I'll understand its operation.
    Thx
    Inregards to the msn,it is msn messenger.

8. Styxx

Styxx Banned

You can be nervous if you don't have a firewall. What would you do if your computer suddenly started having weird problems and/or giving error messages, like if you try to run Messenger you get,
    . Probably Messenger was corrupted by a hacker. There are other possible cause but that would be a top suspect. Incidentally, MSN Messenger has no Inbox whatsoever. MSN Messenger will notify you if you've got messages in your Hotmail Inbox (if your hotmail address is active, unlike mine, but has no inbox itself. MSN Messenger is not "Instant E-Mail" like some folks refer to all Instant Messengers as.

In the case of MSN Messenger you'd simple uninstall it in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel; Restart your computer; Then reinstall MSN Messenger to resolve the errors you describe.

With firewalls the rule is, "if you don't know what is, don't let it out to the Internet." Just check the box and click the OK button when you're prompted by Sygate that a application is trying to access the Internet.

9. Blackraven

Styxx, I now have the Sygate Firewall. After it downloaded a red screen came up and said that I have another Trogan Horse named "Swizzor.A. What shall I do next?
    Thx

10. Styxx

Styxx Banned

/if you get a red screen warning from AVG type 'e' and press Enter imediately! The warning screen wasn't from Sygate, it's not anti-virus! Did you get my private message? Contact me on MSN Messenger if you can. If I knew you hotmal or nsn address you use for Messenger I'd contact you. private message me, don't post your e-mail address here.

The only warnings from Sygate are a flashing icon on the System Tray on lower right Taskbar or small pop-out windows saying an application wants out or one that one says Sygate has blocked "so-and-so". Once again, that red screen warning/prompt was from AVG Anti-virus and you got those Trojans on your Harddisk from hackers because youdid not have a firewall installed!

11. Styxx

Styxx Banned

1. Update AVG:

Put your system on-line to the Internet; Right-click the yellow, black, red and green AVG System Tray icon; Point to Run AVG Control Center; Click the Update Manager tab; Click the Update Now button. Watch that the download starts and completes, the AVG servers are sometimes flooded with requests and the download will stall. Restart the update process as necessary. Follow the on-screen instructions after the download completes and automatically installs itself. Get off-line before restarting your computer.

2. Boot into Safe Mode and run a virus scan until it finishes:

(tap F8 five times per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted).

Temporarily disable your screen saver (choose None). Otherwise you have to keep moving your mouse pointer every few minutes until the scan is done. The screen saver will terminally interrupt the AVG scan.

Click the yellow, black, green and red AVG Desktop icon; Click the Run Complete Test button. When the scan is done AVG says so in a popout, then you can to boot back into Normal Mode via restarting with the Start button.

12. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Please note my MSN e-mail address is dormant so mesages can't be delivered there. :D Click on my name to view my profile for more information.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice