1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot update windows XP (home )

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by timothye, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

hello .
    on my mothers computer ( Administrator= mom ) i cannot update windows . from windowsupdate.com i reach the site start the search for updates and then it displays the updates and then i click the button to start the process and it starts to download the updates then just shows * FAILED * .
    i have run all the programs .
    AVG anti virus
    spyblaster
    spybot search & destroy
    ad aware
    x-cleaner
    microtrends Anti virus
    HJT

all returned & PASSED with flying colors .
    so i went to msn and did the verify ( windows genuine advantage ) verification just to see if she has done it . so we passed the test ,Its valid so no problem there ..
    this is a dell machine >Dimension 5000< only a few months old, 3 at tops . she doesnt even use the net much . its a machine for picture editing .
    any ideas why we cannot get the updates ..

also 1 time when i was on this machine surfing . this dell window poped up and showed something about updates , like it has over ridden Windows automatic updates . but i cannot find it anywhere on this machine .
    anyway
    any help is greatly appreciated

windows xp home sp_2 is what she has .
    thanks for the help
    Timothye :D

2. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

-= ANYONE =-
    Sry for bumping this thread , but we would really like to solve this problem .
    cheers Timothye.
    :D

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I think I know what you are referring to with the Dell thing. I just can't remember the name of it. Will have to check when I get home. My wife has a Dell but I think I uninstalled all that crap when I got the computer for her.

Try setting up another user and see if you can update from that user.

4. Hawk1

Hawk1

Hi Timothye,

Sounds like it might be ActiveX related. Could give this a try. Go to Tools/Internet Options/Settings (About half way down/View Objects. You should see WU WEBCONTROL CLASS there. Right click & click update. If it is damaged or corrupted, delete & WU should allow you to d/l a new ActiveX control.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Hawk

5. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

@Hawk 1
    will try it ..
    thanks for the tip
    ------------------------------
    @Squashman
    any help on this dell matter will be greatly appreciated .
    Hope we can sort this out for MOM .

cheers GUys : Timothye

6. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

reopening this thread
    nothing has worked anotherother suggestion on this 1 pleas e.
    cheers timo

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice