1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Upgrade Memory :-(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by a7m266d, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. a7m266d

a7m266d Thread Starter

I am currently using an Asus A7m266-d Mobo with dual Athlon MP 1900s
    I original had installed 512 RAM and everything was fine.
    I tried to install 256 and it would not be recognized. Only when I downgraded my CPUs in Bios from 1600Mhz to 1200Mhz and the FSB from 133 to 100 would the new RAM be noticed.. and even then windows XP would not boot.. I've played around with plenty of bios settings but nothing seems to work.
    what the heck is going on?

2. kronus

kronus

Could be the speed of the 256 chip is slower than the 512 chip. have you tried the chips in different slots? It is considered a good idea to put the slowest chip in the DIMM 1 slot and the faster chip in after that. Also, your FSB must match the slowest chip.

3. a7m266d

a7m266d Thread Starter

When I put the 256 in slot 1 it is then recognized, but windows still wont boot, even when i also lower the FSB.. :-/

4. norton850

norton850

Are you sure that you have the right memory?

5. a7m266d

a7m266d Thread Starter

The original stick is model # kvr266x72rc25/512
    the new one is # kvr266x64c25/256. the only difference I see is that one is ecc and the other is non-ecc.
    If they were completely wrong I imagine they wouldnt be recognized at all, but with different slot populations i can get them to show up in bios,
    but then windows wont boot..

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436431

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice