Cannot upgrade windows vista ultimate 64bit to windows 7 ultimate 64bit!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lolerguy

Hi guys :D

I just got a final version (The one that arrives on october 22nd) dvd with Windows 7 Ultimate, with both 32bit and 64bit..

But my problem is that everytime i choose 64bit installation in the installation menu, and then choose upgrade, it compatibility checks my pc, and then it says that i cannot install, because its not the same architecture, even tho my pc is able to upgrade to the specified version!

Well, i should be able to upgrade from vista ultimate x64 to 7 ultimate x64, without doing a clean install?

If anyone knows how to solve this, please reply :)

Oh yeah, my OS i windows ultimate 64bit...

Thanks
Jake :D

Run setup while in Windows and you can.

If you run Setup from within Windows:

You can upgrade Windows Vista or Windows 7 Build 7077 or later.
You cannot run x64 Setup on a system running an x86 build of Windows, or vice-versa.
You cannot upgrade Windows XP or any pre-7077 build of Windows 7 (unless you use the workaround I describe later in this post).
You can install Windows 7 on the same volume as an existing Windows version. (I describe the best way to accomplish this in #4.)
You cannot make any changes to the layout of a disk; you must use existing partitions, and Setup will not recognize unallocated space.

If you boot from the Windows 7 DVD:

You cannot upgrade an existing Windows version. Your only option is a custom install.
You can delete existing partitions, create new partitions, extend an existing disk partition to unallocated space, or designate a block of unallocated space as the setup location.
You can install Windows 7 on the same volume as an existing Windows version.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=922&page=2

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online