1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Cannot use mouse and keyboard on clean win 10 install

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by bawmie, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bawmie

bawmie Thread Starter

Hi
    I've run into an issue that no amount of troubleshooting or googling can solve.
    I went to start up my computer a month back and got an error stating that there was bootable no media on my hard drive. After being unable to solve that issue i decided on a clean install of windows 10 and made a bootable media device off a flash drive . When i go to do the install i get one of two issues. Either it boots into a completely blue screen with no text and i cant interact with it or it boots into the language selection screen and i cannot use my mouse or keyboard.
    I've tried two hard drives and they both produce the same error. Ive tried changing the power and data cables going to the hard drives. Ive tried using every combination of usb ports i can try. ive tried completing the clean install process on another computer but i just get the original error that i couldn't solve again. Ive tried creating the media device on another usb. ive tried unplugging everything from my computer but the cable for the mouse or keyboard and the power and display cables.

Ive probably tried a few other things that i cant think to list.

Thanks in advance for your help
    Tyler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
    Ram: Gskill Sniper F32400
    CPU: some intel i7, i don't remember
    GPU: ECGA GTX 1070

2. bawmie

bawmie Thread Starter

Oh, ive also reset CMOS and reloaded updated firmware via Qflash. Ive Disabled/reenabled about every setting related to media and boot process that i can see. (Legacy, Those two 4 letter acronyms that i cant think of at the moment, but they have "handoff" after them)

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Can you use your mouse/keyboard in the bios/uefi?
    Have you tested the drive with the drive mgf's diagnostic? If not, that is the very first thing I would do.

4. bawmie

bawmie Thread Starter

No, but i dont really have a computer that i can run the tool on. The issue persists with two harddrives and they both work on a different computer.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You did not answer. Are you able to use the keyboard and or mouse in the bios/uefi?

6. bawmie

bawmie Thread Starter

Sorry, i misunderstood what you were asking, yes, i can use my mouse/keyboard in the BIOS.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Boot the system with a linux live usb; use either linux mint or ubuntu. If you have problems with linux, then you know you have a hardware issue ie failing hard drive, failing motherboard, etc. If it works ok under linux, then the hardware is probably ok.

8. bawmie

bawmie Thread Starter

I'm downloading the most recent version of ubuntu right now, ill have to try it this evening when i get off work.

9. bawmie

bawmie Thread Starter

Hi, i managed to squeeze this in before heading out, On both hard drives the instillation gets to "2.704453 usb usb4: product: Emc1 Host controller" and freezes.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well you are not really supposed to install linux; just run it as a live usb. This would make no changes to your system. In any case, if you received that error when trying to install linux, you have a hardware problem.
    If you have tried multiple hard drives, the problem would then most likely be the sata controller on the motherboard. If you have not checked your voltages yet, it would not hurt to do so. With a gigabyte board, you can check these in the bios; it should be under health or something similar. Read your mb manual for the exact location. If your 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values look fine, then I would suspect the mb.

11. bawmie

bawmie Thread Starter

Again, i dont know if im using the correct term here, ive never played with Linux. I just downloaded via a Linux live app and booted off of it.
    The 12, 5 and 3.3 volts look good, so i think were solving this with a motherboard issue.

Thanks, ill mark this one solved.

12. bawmie

bawmie Thread Starter

And thank you so much for your help, it was greatly appreciated.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice