1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Wirelessly connect to channel 12 and 13.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by WackoGun, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WackoGun

WackoGun Thread Starter

Hello all, i got surfing and ending up here with a somewhat big problem.

Today i installed Windows Vista ultimate on my computer and wanted to make a wireless internet connection, after trying alot of things, i found out that i cant connect to channel 12 and 13, 1 to 11 do work but i got a low signal on those, so i really want to connect to 13 wich i had the best signal on when i was on Windows XP.

I live in Europe, The Netherlands, so i must be able to connect to channel 13 and i was on XP, router settings are still the same, i did some resets and restore to defaults, but it was nothing different from what it was.

So im guessing that somthing is not right in my Windows Vista, maybe its region is set on US,wich was not the case, i went looking for the region settings and it was all set for The Netherlands.

I read in one of the topics here that, he had another computer with XP, while he was on Vista, connected to the network and this might be interferring, if i recall correctly.

In my case i also have a laptop with XP, connected to the network.

for more info:
    My wireless network card is a Linksys WMPG54, and my router is a Sweex LW050v2, i got the Vista driver for the card, but nothing like an utillity where i can set connections like on the CD with the drivers for XP.

I hope you guys can help me, because i dont know what to do next :(

And sorry for the maybe messy english :p

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why "must" you connect on channel 13? What happened to the first 10 channels?

3. WackoGun

WackoGun Thread Starter

Well, like i said, if i connect to the other 12 channels i get a low reception like only 2 bars and when i connect to channel 13 i got 89% reception, so that why i want to connect with channel 13, or if you might have an idea how to pimp my reception that would be nice too :D .

4. JKingsnorth

JKingsnorth

There is no reason you must connect to channel 13, there are so many other channels and all that is different is the freq. If you really really need to connect to channel 13 I would suggest buying a new router because no one here is going to try to figure this out because it is not a priority...

5. WackoGun

WackoGun Thread Starter

I just bought this router, and it all worked on XP, and like im saying for the 3rd time now i have a bad reception on all other channels, and you people dont have to work this all out, but maybe there is somone who knows what to do, familiar with the problem, but if its all to much to ask nevermind ill leave.

6. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Here's the issue wachogun, the channel doesn't decide signal strenght. You pick a channel so as not to connect/conflict with others using the same channel in your area.

Have you seen if there is an updated driver for your wireless nic? Perhaps at the manufacturers site?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I understand how you could be getting wireless interference, but I don't understand the signal strength difference on channel 13 vs. the others. What is the brand and model of your router?

8. WackoGun

WackoGun Thread Starter

its a Sweex LW050v2, and i dont understand the signal strength compared with the other channels either, but its really the truth, i tested all these channels on Win XP and all the channels lower than 10 where 2 stripes of strength, 11 and 12 where 3, and 13 was 4 stripes, i never got a full reception, but 13 was the strongest and i tried multiple times to switch between those channels to get the best reception.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If I had reread your first post, I wouldn't have had to ask about the router. Sorry.

Use the Linksys uninstall routine, if there is one, to uninstall your adapter. Then in Device Manager if it still shows there uninstall it from there. Restart your PC, and when it tries to install the adapter you should get an option somewhere along the way to select the correct region (which then results in the correct driver being installed).

I have no experience with PCI cards, so you may have to also do a physical install after the software installs, and then start the Linksys install process as if you had just opened the box with the adapter.

10. WackoGun

WackoGun Thread Starter

Ill try this 1st thing in the morning, its 1:00 AM now, so im off to bed, appreciate the help :).

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're 6 hours ahead of us here. Please don't wake me when you get up. :)

12. WackoGun

WackoGun Thread Starter

Unfortunatly, i couldnt select no region, this might be because the driver is not an .exe file, but a .ini and .sys file wich are just simple drivers for vista (slackers Linksys).

I gues i have to live with it, untill they bring out some reasonable drivers, wich i dont think the'll ever come for my card :D, and btw i even tried to make that free antenna booster, wich is linked on this forum some where but i didnt have the right paper so it was worthless, couldnt even get it assembled :p.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/692399

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice