1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Canon 1Ds Mark2 + Windows Vista, Dell XPS1530

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by bazil83, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bazil83

bazil83 Thread Starter

Okay, so here's the problem and it's a big one, a simple task but hugely advantageous to my work (I was massively disadvantaged today)... I cannot get my Canon 1Ds Mark2 camera to shoot tethered in Vista Home Premium on my Dell XPS1530 laptop with the Ricoh firewire chipset (I've heard nothing but bad things when googling this chipset).

From a state with no drivers installed at all, I have done the following:

Plugged the camera in, let windows detect the new hardware, inserted the orginal Windows 98/XP/2000 cd into the drive when it asks for drivers, and let it install them. Once it's finished I then reboot the machine and install the EOS Utility upgrade andVista WIA 1394 Drivers, version 6.0.0 (or something like that - from the canon website) and reboot. I plug the camera in again, it detects it but when I start up EOS Utility and click on Remote Shooting, it generally tends to hang and then say it cannot communicate with the camera. I then turn the camera off, unplug it and then turn it on with it plugged in again and it doesn't detect it, nothing; I try to reboot but the computer hangs at the 'Shutting Down' phase. It then takes about 15 minutes before it blue screens with a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE error and then reboots and returns to windows.

I figure the blue screen is either exactly what the problem is, or it's just attributed to when I turn the camera off and the computer is trying to find it, or whatever.

Anyway, I've done all the windows updates, service pack etc. I've found a couple of hotfixes that seem to describe the situation I'm experiencing, but when I try to install them, it says something like 'Your computer already has this update'... I can't remember the exact message I get, but basically I can't install the hotfixes because I believe they were included when I installed the service pack.

It's extremely annoying because I hate spending extra money when I don't need to; I think I'm going to buy a Firewire 800 express card for this laptop as I believe it's the Ricoh chipset that is the issue... I've searched and searched for updated drivers, but all I find are forums full of people moaning about the chipset and the only fix I've heard is people buying an express card and by-passing the Ricoh chipset.

If there's anything anyone can suggest, I'd be HUGELY greatful as I've tested the cable on two other machines one running XP Pro SP3 and one running Vista... Works absolutely fine on both! By the way, I've also gone from a state of no camera drivers, to installing the Vista WIA drivers BEFORE I plug the camera in to let Windows detect the new hardware... When I do that, though, Vista makes a noise to say a new hardware device has been plugged in, but it doesn't flash up any kind of "Your new hardware is installed and ready to use" or anything like that.

Thanks for any help

P.S. I spent 3 hours on the phone to Canon level 2 support (a British technician, not a foreign script reader) and a further 2 hours on the phone to Dell, the Canon guy was more helpful in the sense that he talked me through stuff, but the Dell guy did very basic tasks; installed drivers, told me to plug camera in, looked around for camera... Took him 2 hours just to do that and then said "we've exhausted all options, you'll have to either consult with Canon or call a premium number and pay for extra support"... At that moment I let him have it down the phone. The fact that I'd paid for 4 year XPS Premium support and that's the best I get? So he's calling back later today and I'm going to try and get him to send someone here tomorrow (or the next day) to maybe replace the motherboard with a different chipset or whatever.

P.P.S. Everything shows up in device manager; the camera under 'Imagine Devices' and the firewire device under 'Firewire Devices'... But when I try and uninstall the device whilst it's plugged in, it hangs and eventually times out (when the device isn't plugged in, it obviously doesn't show up at all in the device manager).

2. bazil83

bazil83 Thread Starter

BTW, I'm not 100% sure I posted this in the right forum, it was either this one or the Vista forum... Figured as it's a digital imaging thing alone...

3. buck52

buck52 Banned

certainly sounds like a hardware issue

this statement is a little confusing... " inserted the orginal Windows 98/XP/2000 cd into the drive when it asks for drivers" ...those are three different cds are they not?

sounds like you know the problem but don't want to believe it...

4. bazil83

bazil83 Thread Starter

Same CD; different drivers for each OS on the same CD.

I'm pretty sure I believe the problem, but I want to make sure no one else has encountered the same problem and found a solution to it, before I go and buy a Siig 800 express card.

5. buck52

buck52 Banned

I wish you luck...

I wouldn't use vista if someone gave it to me... I have helped my father with enough problems to convince me of that.

No help to you but I shoot with a Nikon D2x wireless using WT-2A transmitter... on a lappy running XP Pro

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice