1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Canon Camera/Windows XP

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by randm_moseley, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. randm_moseley

randm_moseley Thread Starter

I have a canon digital camera. It is a powershot sd1000. When I plug in the camera with the usb cord, it tells me my camera is found. I click on the balloon that pops up and it asks me to put in the windows xp home edition cd-rom. I have windows xp on my computer, but when I purchased the computer from my neighbor she did not have any of the cd's.

I have viewed my photos on other computers before and they just open right up. Is there something I can download to be able to view from my computer? Some people say that I need to download a driver, but I have looked for drivers to download and have no clue what I am doing.

Please help!!!

2. helpmerick

helpmerick

What size of memory card is in the camera? If it is 4GB or larger, then Windows just needs an update to properly handle the high capacity cards. It might be easier (and less wear and tear on your camera), to get a high capacity memory card reader to use for viewing and transferring your photos.

Canon does not provide any drivers for this camera, since it is essentially acting as a card reader itself. Try running Windows updates and/or try a card reader. Good luck.

3. randm_moseley

My memory card is only 1.0GB. I will try updating windows. Do I just go to Microsoft webpage for that? It is just weird cause I can use the camera on my sister and moms computer, just not mine...

4. slipe

slipe

You can update your computer here: http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

With the camera turned on and plugged into the computer look in My Computer under “Devices with Removable Storage” to see if there might be a “removable drive” or camera listed. If there is you can download directly from the camera.

If the camera is showing as a drive get back and someone can give you instructions to make something pop up for downloading when the camera is plugged in.

5. Skicrest

Skicrest

I just upgraded to XP Pro SP3 and the computer doesn't show either my camera or a thumb drive when I plug them into the USB PORT. I have tried device manager, no luck. I need to back up data to the thumb but it doesn't register except the little green mark at bottom of screen when you need to disconnect the thumb. The green mark doesn't even show up with the camera plugged in.

6. randm_moseley

I didn't have any updates except software updates. I updated them all and it didn't make a difference. When the camera is plugged in it is not in My Computer. It pops up and tells me it sees the camera but when the setup wizard helps me it tells me to insert the Windows XP cd. When I bought the computer it was already on here and didn't come with any disks.

7. slipe

slipe

Go Control Panel > System and make sure the splash screen shows Service Pack 3.

Computers that don’t come with Windows CDs usually have a D drive that contains the recovery capability and all the CAB files on the CD. You might check your manufacturer’s help site to see whether you can use it in a situation where the computer calls for the CD.

It has been my experience that once the computer starts asking for a manual install or the CD I ultimately have no success in getting Windows to install the device.

You don’t need a pricey card reader. I have one similar to this that came free with a SD card – works fine and doubles as portable memory. This one is only 2 bucks with free shipping, but it can take a while from China. You could probably find something similar locally or just buy a multi-reader. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11

Skicrest If you are using a USB port on the front of the computer try one on the back. It is best to try one that is working for another device. You should start your own thread – probably on the hardware forums.

8. helpmerick

helpmerick

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/867081