1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Canon D2400U & Win XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ingenou, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ingenou

Ingenou Thread Starter

I just bought a CanoScan D2400U and have tried installing it on my P4 (1.8MHz) running XP Home Edition. Not only does the CD menu tell me that 'Twain' drivers are not installed, but the 'Add New Hardware' wizard cannot find it! (It is plugged in via USB). I contacted Canon, who said that the scanner is compatible with Win 2000, ME & 98 - no mention of XP.

Does anyone know if I can download Twain drivers and proceed with installation and, if so, where can I get the drivers and where do I install them? (Don't want much, do I? :) )

2. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

Hi Ingenou - naw, you don't ask for much. ;)

I searched DriverGuide for any possible XP drivers for this scanner and came up with nothing. I do see on Canon's site they have XP drivers for the 2400U<b>F</b>:

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCp...pname=CanoScan D2400UF&modelid=6627&item=9999

Have you tried using the Windows 2000 driver for it? (I've had luck with 2000 drivers on some of my peripherals on my XP system.)

Sorry that I could not locate any XP drivers for the 2400U. Since you just purchased it, any chance you can exchange it for a scanner that is XP compatible?

Perhaps someone else has a lead. Good luck. :)

3. mtoffthewall

mtoffthewall

I was searching for information on my canoscan D2400U and came across your message. I have not solved my problem yet but do want to let Ingenou know that I have a D2400U and XP and they do work fine together. I got mine about 5 months ago and all I had to do was call Dell and tell them I could not get it to work and they connected me with Canon who got me the correct drivers from the internet. It was easy at the time.
    Unfortunately, I cannot remember exactly what they did, and now I have had to dump my system and reboot and so I am back to the same problem but now I am out of free tech support. I realize that message is from January and you may have solved your problem! If I find the answer, I will certainly write again and I will warn everyone, when you are on tech support from the companies, write down what they tell you to do for next time you have that problem!! Live and learn, I guess!! Thanks!

4. mtoffthewall

mtoffthewall

I don't know if this would help at all but this was my fix: I had to unplug my scanner from the surge protector, plug it into the wall outlet and it worked! The tech at Canon explained it to me but I will not repeat it all - something to do with electro magnetic mumbo jumbo. Then he had me turn off my system, plug back into the surge protector, and low and behold, it worked! I still can't believe it!
    He did say that 2400U and UF are two different scanners and are not interchangable. He also told me that 2400U should work with xp without having to download anything any more, as mine seems to be proof of that right now. He told me to try www.canoscan.com or something called 'scantips' if I had problems and wanted solutions on the internet.
    One more hint: if you are not getting the answers you need from Canon, hang up and call again and you will get a new tech. Some are really good and will take the time to fix the problem. That is what you have the free support for!!
    Good luck!

5. Ingenou

Ingenou Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks for taking the time & trouble.

My fix was to take the Canon back to the store and get an HP scanner instead! Not as hi-res, but it works with no hitches & glitches and HP are always happy to help - even when out of warranty!

Thanks again.

6. mkleinso

mkleinso

I also had trouble installing the drivers for my canoscan d2400 under Windows XP. When first insalling it the hardware wizzard installed the drivers from the CD but the other TWAIN-Applications could not connect to the sanner.

I tried to install the scanner with the hardware assistent, with the scanner and digicam assistent but when I tried to open the d240u.inf file the assistent allways showed an empty window.

After I read your ideas I downloaded the uninstall software and the dirver package from the canon website, unpacked all of it and uninstalled the driver, deleted the folder "d240u" in the "windows\twain" directory and deleted arcsoft and other tools that came with the original CD.

Then I connected the scanner, without power!!!, with the pc. I than booted the pc and logged in. After all the start procedures I finally gave power to the scanner. And like a mirracle the hardware detection started to work. I than selected the driver and this time it worked. I am using the sanner without any problem.

So I hope it will work with your system too. (I am using a German WIN XP but I dont think there is a difference)

Cheers Max

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice