1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Canon ImageRunner 2200

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bossard, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bossard

Bossard Thread Starter

I recently installed a new USB to IEEE-1284 cable from my new Dell computer with Windows 7 to my ImageRunner 2200. This printer was previously installed on a computer with an IEEE-1284 connection on both ends. I installed the updated drivers for Windows 7 that I downloaded from Canon's website but can't get the printer to communicate with the computer. It doesn't find it in devices and printers. What could be the problem?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Does Device Manager show an LPT port and if so what number is it; ie. LPT1, LPT2, etc. Or does it show any unknown devices, does that LPT port or unknown device disappear and reappear if you unplug an plug in the USB to Parallel adatper? If you go to Devices & Printers and manually install the printer by specifying that LPT# port does it work?

3. Bossard

Bossard Thread Starter

Device manager finds the LPT1 port and then asked me to add a printer.Then it goes to a list of printers. My printer is not listed in that list. It is not communicating with the printer.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. Bossard

Bossard Thread Starter

Still having a problem printing although I have the driver for the printer installed. I had to assign USB1 port since there are no LPT ports on the Windows 7 computer. When I attempt to print the printer cycles through like its printing but there is nothing being printed and it does not feed a sheet of paper out either. The printer works on the old XP computer so I know it is not the printer that has a problem.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The USB to IEE1284 adapter should have created an LPT port for you, and that's what you would choose. I think I've seen a few that only create a USB port that you need to correctly guess at the correct one; these are usually low quality adapters. You need to make sure your adapter has installed correctly, see if there are updated drivers online for it, or use a better quality adapter, the cheap ones are never reliable.

7. Bossard

Bossard Thread Starter

Okay so I manually set the driver to access LPT1 and it still dies not communicate with the printer. In your estimation do you think the adapter is inferior? I don't know what else to try at this point!

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So that LPT1 port in Device Manager, does it disappear when you unplug the USB adapter?

9. Bossard

Bossard Thread Starter

I am not sure where in device manager to look for the port.

10. Bossard

Bossard Thread Starter

There is no ports/com in the list in device manager.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you post a screenshot of Device Manager with the ports sections expanded? Any unknown USB devices under the USB section?

12. Bossard

Bossard Thread Starter

Here is a screenshot of Device Manager with the USB devices expanded. There are no other port type sections that I see. Shouldn't there be a com/port type listing also?
    ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes there should. I'd be looking at getting a different USB to Parallel adapter.

14. Bossard

Bossard Thread Starter

Ports (COM & LPT) shows up on my other Windows 7 computer in Device Manager and I never even installed any printer, etc. nor does it have a parallel port on the mother board. It's there by default! Why would it be missing on the one in question?

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its there on the other one because the computer has the ports, which may be just the chip with a header that doesn't actually have the physical port present but the hardware is there for it; this computer must have have it like most newer computers. The USB to parallel adapter should be creating a port, which it does not appear to be.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1183614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice