Solved Canon My Image Garden Launch is Real Slow

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I have a Canon MX922 Multi-function printer that is connected by USB to my HP desktop running 64-Bit Windows 10 Pro.

When I wish to use it to scan documents, I will place the document on the glass and press the B&W or Color Scan button, and then I wait, and wait, and wait. The Canon My Image Garden main program page show after a few seconds with box on top of it showing the software loading. I can take my time to go to the bathroom, wash my hands for 20+ seconds, fill a small bowl with snacks, and pour myself a sweet tea. If I am lucky, the software may be done loading and my document scanned when I get back to the computer. The version is 3.6.4. My scanned document will show along with some recent pictures I may have saved to my Windows 10 pictures folder from other sources. Scanning additional documents after that still has a short delay between when it sounds like a scan is done and the scan appears in the software.

I like that the software allows me to collate multiple scans and save them as single PDF files as well as other formats. I don't use the other features of the software such as making calendars, making collages, albums, etc. Is there some setting in the software to speed it up? Is there any Canon software that more like a stripped-down version of Image Garden that just lets you scan different size different sized pictures and documents and then save them in different formats? I thought such a Canon utility existed years ago when I had a different Canon All-in-One and a desktop running Windows XP.

Gr3iz

Mark
Hey Chuck, I use Canon MP Navigator. It's pretty basic ...

texasbullet

Ramon
I also have a Canon MX printer and it takes quite some time to warm up and get ready. I don't know why it takes too long but I have to wait until it is ready to do its job.
I just checked the canon website support and its not working at this time. Unknown if later on it may be back in service.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I use Irfanview to run the scan for my Epson.
If the cannon Twain driver is installed, it should work.

You need the Irfanview 32 bit version installed ....
It'll fetch the scan then you can tell it what format and where to save it.
Start with ... File > Select Scan/Twain Source
Then ... File > Acquire Scan

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Mark, I found a download link on a Canon site for MP Navigator EX Ver. 5.0.2. It downloaded and installed with no problem, but would not start, reporting it was not compatible with my Canon MX922. While looking for MP Navigator, I read about something called Canon IJ Scan Utility. I found out that is was already installed when I tried to install it. It just was not showing up in Windows start. It may not be what I am looking for, but seems to have options for selecting the default actions for handling different scan types from the MX922's front panel. I may be able to not have Image Garden launch when doing scans from the front panel.

Jay, I use GIMP and I do have the TWAIN drivers installed for the MX922. I have imported directly into GIMP a few times, but it may have been a bit much for my desire for a basic scan and save with some options function. I thought Irfanview was similar to Photoshop and GIMP, but see that it may be more of a file viewer with some editing capability. I may give it a shot if IJ Scan's options don't work out.

texasbullet

Ramon
I don't use the Image Garden in my printer. I always use Easy Photo Print EX available on the canon printer driver download.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Irfanview is more a basic viewer and editor and faster than Gimp or Photoshop ... but more editing than basic.
I like it to run the scanner, It loads the image to Irfanview where it can be edited, then saved.
Make sure to get the 32 bit version of Irfanview.
Let me know and I'll send some shortcuts ... are you running W7 or W10

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Let me know and I'll send some shortcuts ... are you running W7 or W10
I am running 64-Bit Windows 10 Professional and thank you for offering to provide a link.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
With Irfanview 32 installed and File > Select Scan/Twain Source selected ..
Try the attached Shortcut .. this should run the scanner for a 300 dpi scan in IV
were you can edit ... then save as the format you want and the save location

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Staff online

Members online