1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Canon Pixma MP530 vs Spyware Scans

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by legality, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. legality

legality Thread Starter

I have a Dell XPS 8300, WinXP, SP2 (it's 4 years old). The MP530 was installed 6/23/07 and since that day I've been unable to run antispyware/malware scans of my system. Virus scans are not affected, only spyware/malware scans. I have used several spyware scanning programs including AVG, McAfee, AdAware, etc., and all cause the computer to abruptly shut down with the following Stop Error screen:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent
    damage to your computer.
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    Tech Information
    ***STOP: Ox00000050 (OxFFFFDFF8, Ox00000000, Ox80550211, Ox00000000)"

When I reboot, I get the notification window that the computer has recovered from a serious problem and the details point to a possible driver problem. I checked the Device Manager for problems and there are none. I downloaded and ran the Dell Driver Reset tool and no problems were found. I checked Canon's site for driver updates for this machine, and there are none. I consulted with Canon's techs and they are not aware of this problem.

In my Windows/System/32/Drivers/Spool/3 folder are two files called WrtMon.exe and WrtMon.proc each with the logo MPC and each created on 6/23/07, the same date of the printer installation. No one seems to know what these files are since there is no info associated with them, or if they even have anything to do with this problem. I've been advised to uninstall the Canon all-in-one printer and run a spyware scan to see if that cures the problem. I am terrified of doing that because I didn't install it to begin with. My son did during a recent visit, but he's out of state and unable to help me out.

I was advised to run a HijackThis log, but received no real help except advice to uninstall the printer. From what I can see as I closely watched the spyware scan progress, the system appears to shut down at some point in the following lines of the Registry:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WrtMon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\WrtMon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanSoft OmniPage SE 4.0-reminder] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\Ereg\Ereg.exe" -r "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\Ereg\ereg.ini"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Multi Reminders] "C:\Program Files\Multi Reminders\reminder.exe" -c
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

In closing, let me say that my computer is working fine. The new multifunction printer is working beautifully. Nothing is amiss EXCEPT that I cannot scan for spyware/malware. I am currently using AVG's free virus program and free spyware program, although I'm only scanning for viruses. The status of these programs indicate my computer is totally protected.

Please let me know if I need to be concerned here, or if I can I ignore this problem and just avoid scanning for spyware. Thanks for your help.

2. kev1952

kev1952

It's never a good idea to just avoid doing something as important as computer security. I use the same software you do and it works great. If you run AVGAS in Safe Mode (which is how it should be done) does it still crash?

3. legality

legality Thread Starter

Hi Kev.....

just ran AVGAS in Safe Mode. Went through Memory just fine and then crashed during the Registry scan. As soon as I sent the error report to Microsoft, the following page popped up:

"You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer."

It then tells you how to uninstall or disable a device driver, how to uninstall a program or hardware, etc. I even downloaded and ran the Dell Device Reset Tool and it found no problems. It also suggests restoring the computer to a point prior to the program if you don't know which device driver is at fault.

Suppose I perform a Restore to a time prior to June 23rd, the date my Canon MP530 was installed. What should happen? Thanks.

legality

4. kev1952

kev1952

That's most strange - the Restore idea is sound and you should try that at the first opportunity. The Canon software may not have installed correctly and be causing the problem. I have (and still do) used many a Canon over the years and have found the driver installation to be generally reliable and easy. That said, tho', any installation of any software *could* get corrupted. I'd be interested to hear the results after the restore.

5. legality

legality Thread Starter

Kev,

Before I perform a Restore to a point prior to the Canon installation, I want to know what to expect. How would the "restore" affect the Canon's installation? Would it wipe out the printer's installation? I apologize for these questions, but I'm not that familiar with the restore function. Suppose it is a corrupted or improperly installed Canon driver, what exactly would the restore function do? Thanks so much.

legality

6. kev1952

kev1952

What will happen is the system will be returned to the state it was in before you installed the drivers (drivers would then not be installed). Any data files you created after the restore date will still be there but any programs you installed after the date will be gone. The process is fully reversible but I doubt you'll want to reverse it.

7. legality

legality Thread Starter

So that means that my printer will not function, correct?

8. kev1952

kev1952

Exactly! And that's the object of the exercise. You can now reinstall the drivers from scratch. Remember, with a Canon you must not plug it in until the setup program tells you to.

9. legality

legality Thread Starter

Kev, thanks so much. I will gather up my courage (which seems to have gone missing at the moment) and attempt a repair.

legality

10. kev1952

kev1952

You'll be just fine. :) Dead easy to do a system restore as the system does it all for you. Let us know how you get on with it.

11. legality

legality Thread Starter

Kev, thanks. Having other problems at the moment. My cable modem went bad and cable company can't come out until Friday. Fortunately, I keep a small AOL account for just such emergencies so I can dial up and access the internet for emergency use, but it's agonizingly slow at 28,800. Even though I don't need internet access to run the restore function, I want the ability to get online fast should I have any questions. I'll tend to the restore matter probably over this coming weekend. I'll report back.

legality

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596209

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice