1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

canon rebel, lens, setup?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by ms_khw, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ms_khw

ms_khw Thread Starter

I have a Canon Rebel, new to the world of lens, apeture, focal point etc. I want to understand and be able to operate my camera manually in time, so I'm doing my best to learn. My question is this, when I set it to the av mode and set my settings, when trying to take a picture the lens sounds as though it is constantly readjusting itself. Is this a norm, or is it because my settings and location are off for the lighting etc. When using the camera in auto there is a green light that tells you that that everything is set. Should a green light also be showing when used in av, tv & p mode? Hope someone can help.

2. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Until you become real familiar with your camera and it's adjustments my recommendation would be to have it set on " P " ( automatic RAW format ) or " Auto ( JPeg format ). Then as you become more familiar move to another feature and master that. Once you have gone through the gammet you'll probably have to start over because you will have forgotten it all.

The lens ( kit lens ??? ) readjusting itself sounds like it's trying to autofocus all the time. I don't know what you are doing but if you focus on something by pushing the shutter button 1/2 way down, then release it and move your camera even slightly it will try and focus when you press the button again. :confused: :confused:

3. ms_khw

ms_khw Thread Starter

I am pushing the button 1/2 way down and not releasing it, then pushing all the way when in focus. It is during the time that is pushed half way that the lens appears to be refocusing continuously. :confused: I guess I will do as you say, one step at a time.

4. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    It shouldn't try and focus on a continuing basis so something has to be up. The kit lens is quite cheap, though adequate to start off with and maybe you got a bad one. Next time you're near the camera shop ask them to have a listen or if you know someone in your circle of contacts that knows Canon DSLR's have them check it out.

5. ms_khw

ms_khw Thread Starter

The lens that I'm using is a 50mm. not the one that came with the kit. So it could be a bad lens?

6. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    It could be but without actually using it I wouldn't know. What I do know is that if you are doing what you say you are, and I believe you, then it should lock on focus ( and be silent ) until you have taken the shot.

7. ms_khw

ms_khw Thread Starter

I was sure that I was doing exactly as I should. This doesn't happen with my other lens (came with the kit) so I guess it must be the lens and not what I'm doing or not doing. I think I will take it to a camera shop the next time in town.

Thanks for your help. msk

8. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    I wish I would have known that when I posted. Sounds like a bad lens to me then. Is it this lens? http://www.bccamera.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_30&products_id=48
    Best bang for the buck that Canon ever came out with except besides being cheap in price it is also built cheap. Got to handle it very carefully but it does take amazingly sharp pictures.

9. ms_khw

ms_khw Thread Starter

Yep, that's the one. And yes it does take sharp pictures, no doubt about it. One further note, if I set the camera to full auto, there doesn't seem to be this problem??

I don't want to fall into the same trap by buying another, so is there one that you would recommend for portraits.? One that's not terribly expensive.

10. buck52

buck52 Banned

Any chance you are in continuous focus mode?

probably not if it does not happen with other lenses...

just a thought

11. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    I'm going to assume that the lens is out of warranty ?? There are many others to choose from but it sounds like you want to do it on the cheap so I would walk into a camera shop and give another a whirl. Test it against yours and if it does the same thing buck might be on to something. Like him I doubt it but stranger things have happened. If a new one works like your other lens then you have a bad one and it isn't worth sending for repair unless it's covered by warranty. You have to remember that lens is less than $120.00 so it's disposable for lack of better words. btw... never try to manually focus that lens when it's working in the auto mode because it will self destruct.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice