1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

canot network 2 home pcs

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nichos, Feb 24, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

I have never been able to network my 2 PCs, I googled & read a lot but could not achieve it.

2. CaptureTheTech

CaptureTheTech

well we can't do it for you, what seems to be the problem though? Do they not detect one another or something else? How do you try to connect them?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How are you trying to network them? Ethernet cable? Ad-hoc wireless? Both connected to ethernet switch or router?

4. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

Thanx

Both have w10, & connected to same BT Router.

To connect them via my Wi-fi

BUT they do not dee each other.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If they cannot ping each other it is almost definitely a firewall or Windows 10 issue.

6. MisterEd51

MisterEd51

I am no expert but with a little effort I have always been able to see the computers on my home network and share files between them.

You haven't said what you want to do between your computers. I will show how I have set up the computers on my home network to share files.

The first thing you have to understand is that unless your computers are set up to share resources they will never see each other. That said you should try this on each computer:

Open Windows Settings
    Select Network & Internet
    Change your network settings
    > Select Sharing options
    Private (current profile)
    Network discovery
    > Select "Turn on network discovery"
    > Check "Turn on automatic setup of network connect devices"
    File and printer sharing
    > Select "Turn on file and printer sharing"
    Click on "Save changes"

At this point the computers will not see each other yet. You still have to share resources (e.g. files, printers, etc.)

What I do on each computer is set up a directory to share with other computers. You can share any directory you own but if you are uneasy about this you can create a folder called share on each computer and share this folder. To share the folder
    * in windows explorer right on the directory to share
    * Select Properties
    * Select Sharing tab
    * Select who you want to share with. The default is your user.
    * If you share with your own user then if you all you have to do is use the same user name and password on the other computer.
    * You can also select individual users to share with or everyone. Then you have to worry about whether you want to make the contents of the folder read-only or allow others to read/write/delete in your shared folder

My desktop and laptop on my home network:
    [​IMG]

The shared folders on my desktop:
    [​IMG]

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    @MisterEd51 The issue is that the computers are not pinging each other.

Providing that they are both on the same network (Check IPCONFIG) and you are not able to ping by IP, then you would need to make sure that the router is not blocking the communication and turn off all 3rd party firewalls.

8. MisterEd51

MisterEd51

The OP did not state that the computers could not ping each other but even when they do does not guarantee that they can "see" each other.

For example, my desktop and laptop stopped being able to see each other on my home network. What I mean is that even though each one had shared resources on the network neither one could see the other's shared resources. I had to reset the Network on each one to solve the problem.

To reset the network do the following:

Go to Settings > Network & Internet
    Under "Change your network settings" select: Network reset

After doing this the computer will reboot and reset its networks. It will take several minutes to do this.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    You are correct, that was taken from what Terry mentioned. My apologies.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1240740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice